Living Expenses for Graduate Students
There is a wide range of rental apartments and houses in the West Haven area. As in any rental market, sharing accommodations is the most cost-effective option.
Apartments closer to the University tend to run a little higher than the area average, but there are both free and low-cost bus options many students utilize if they choose to live farther from the university.
Keep in mind, every individual’s monthly expenses vary based on personal preferences, lifestyle, and habits.
A breakdown of the average monthly living expenses for a current graduate student is as follows:
- Shared apartment or house: $150-500 per person
- Single Occupancy apartment or house: $500- 1800+
- Utilities: $50-75
- Food: $100-200
- Transportation: Free Campus Courtesy Vans
- Free University-Sponsored Housing Shuttles & Courtesy Vans
- Free University Weekend Shuttle to West Haven, New Haven
- $40 ChargerGo Pass per semester for unlimited trips on all CT Transit local buses.
- Uber: Downtown New Haven to Campus: Approximately $9
- $35 Round Trip MetroNoth Train from West Haven/New Haven to NYC
- Entertainment: $100