Frequently Asked Questions About Health Services
Health Services Office

  • Who staffs the Health Services office?

    Health Services staff include registered nurses, nurse practitioners, part-time physicians, and a certified nurse midwife for the Women’s Clinic. Registered nurses are in the office every day to see students during office hours, Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. and Friday 8:3 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Prescribing clinician hours are posted on the office door daily. These hours vary day to day so it is recommended the student call prior to coming to verify that day’s hours.

  • Do students have to pay when visiting Health Services for sickness?

    There is no fee charged for being seen at Health Services. However, if medication is prescribed to the student, then the student is recommended to go to a pharmacy off campus to have the prescription filled. The student is responsible for any cost or copays. Lab or x-ray procedures are billed to the students private insurance.

  • Is there an overnight service for sick students on campus?

    University Health Services is an ambulatory care center; therefore, we do not provide overnight services. For students who are ill after the clinic has closed, there are several Urgent Care or Walk-In Clinics in the area. If the situation is of an emergent nature, students who live on campus should contact their Resident Assistant or Resident Director, University Police, or call 911. The student will then be evaluated by EMS personnel and transported to a local emergency room.

  • Does Health Services go to the residence halls when a student is ill?

    The Health Services staff does not make "house calls." If the student is not feeling well or needs medical attention, the student must come to the clinic for care.

  • Can students have blood work or x-rays taken at Health Services?

    The clinic is not equipped to draw blood or take x-rays on site. There is, however, a laboratory/x-ray facility within a short distance of the University that students are referred to for testing.

  • Can students get their prescriptions filled at Health Services?

    No, the clinic does not have a pharmacy on site. However, there is a CVS pharmacy (that is independent of the University and Health Services) within walking distance, across the street from the University. There are also other pharmacies within a close range of the University (Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Target, among others).

  • Can parents or guardians get information regarding a student’s visit(s) to Health Services?

    A student’s visit to Health Services is confidential. We understand that parents/guardians are very concerned about the student’s well-being, but we cannot openly discuss anything about the student with you unless we have permission from the student to do so. In most cases, we encourage the student to give Health Services verbal permission to speak to their parent. However, the decision is left up to the student and may be different on case-by-case basis.

  • What does a student need to do if he or she needs to go to the hospital? How will he or she get there?

    If a serious illness or injury occurs, an ambulance can be called for transportation to the hospital. In non-emergency situations, the student is required to obtain their own transportation via a friend, taxi, or Uber/Lyft. In non-emergency situations when Health Services is closed, students are encouraged to use local Urgent Care Centers or Walk-In Clinics.

  • What information does Health Services need to have about each student?

    All full-time students must complete the four-page Physical/Immunization Form sent to them by the Admissions Office. Please read and complete it carefully. All students must be up to date on all immunizations. All of the required Immunizations are listed in the Information sheet provided with the Physical form. Students should make a copy for their own records. Students also need to provide Health Services with a copy of their Private Medical Insurance Card.

  • What medical supplies, if any, should a student have at college?

    We recommend that students and parents/guardians make a "First Aid Kit" for the student to keep in his/her dorm room. Item suggestions include:

    • Prescription medications, which should always be kept in Pharmacy labeled box/bottle/container and stored in a lock box.
    • Digital thermometer
    • Band-Aids (assorted sizes)
    • Gauze pads
    • Anti-Itching Cream
    • Reusable ice packs
    • Antibiotic ointments (such as Bacitracin)
    • Cold medication
    • Cough drops/throat lozenges
    • Cough syrup
    • Tylenol or Advil
    • Rolaids, Tums, or Maalox
    • Pepto-Bismol