Parent and Family Information about Health Services

Health Services is open to all university students. We provide care for illness and injuries as well as diagnosis, referral, and follow-up care for more serious conditions. The office is staffed by registered nurses, a part-time nurse practitioner, part-time physicians, and part-time certified nurse midwives who offer weekly women's clinic. Physician's hours are scheduled Monday through Friday. Daily doctor's hours are posted.

If you should have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at (203) 932-7079.

  • Please note that if your student is 18 years of age or older he/she will have the authority to release their own medical information. We will be unable to share with you any information regarding a student unless the student has consented to such.

    • Remember to keep a copy for your own records of any forms sent in to the University
    • Remember, all prescription medication must be in its original pharmacy container and properly labeled.
    • We also recommend that a personal First Aid box be made up and brought with the student to school. The following are suggested items:
      • Digital thermometer
      • Band-Aids
      • Gauze pads
      • Peroxide
      • Reusable ice packs
      • Antibiotics ointment (bacitracin)
      • Cold medication (Sudafed)
      • Cough drops/lozenges
      • Cough syrup
      • Tylenol or Advil
      • Pepto-Bismol
      • Purell or other antibacterial gel
    • It is essential that students who have long term chronic illnesses (such as diabetes, seizure disorder, hypertension, and etc.) contact Health Services. Please make sure that we have information concerning that illness, and if student has a specialist that doctors contact information.
    • Should your student be taking Allergy Injections, please contact our office. We can provide a listing of local Allergist that your students can continue their injections with. It is also very important to make sure that students who have allergy injections administered – have an EPI- PEN in their position and know how to use it. Should you have additional questions please feel free to contact our office.
    • All full-time students are required to have a completed Physical Form (forms are sent by Admissions Office after attendance deposit is received). The form must be returned by deadline date provided by the Admissions Office. Please contact the Admissions Office if these forms have not been received.
    • All students need to be up to date on all immunizations required by Connecticut state law (2 measles, 1 rubella, and 2 mumps) (Two valid doses of MMR will fulfill the requirement).
    • All students need to show proof of Varicella (Chicken Pox). (History of disease with date, or two doses of the Varicella vaccine).
    • A titre (blood test) can also be completed to show required proof of immunity for measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella. Lab results need to be sent in to Health Services, not just reported titre dates.
    • All residential students are required to have the meningitis vaccine. The vaccine is valid for five years from injection date. If longer than five years, a booster shot will be needed.
    • All athletes, whether living on or off campus, are required to have the meningitis vaccine
    • Please be aware that Health Services offers flu vaccines, October through December, for a small fee. Students only need to contact our office at x7079 to set up an appointment.
    • Please provide your student and Health Services with a copy of your private insurance card.  We need a copy of both the front and the back of the card.
    • If you have no private insurance, please indicate that on the student's physical form.
    • Please contact your private health insurance company prior to coming to school to find out their policy concerning
      • out of state coverage
      • out of network coverage
      • Are referrals from primary care physicians necessary if the student needs to see a specialist?
      • Does the insurance cover prescriptions and what area pharmacies are in the network?
    • This notice details the financial responsibility students bear for the health care they receive at and/or through Health Services at the University of New Haven. Click here to view the notice in PDF format.
    • Please note: This notice is provided here for your information and review. You do not need to download and return this form now - students will be asked to sign this form at the time they utilize Health Services.