I-20 & Student Visa

International Admissions

In order to obtain an I-20 once you're accepted, you must submit the following:

1. The Financial Statement for International Students (FSIS) form completed, dated, and signed by you and your sponsor(s). Download Forms: Undergraduate

2. An ORIGINAL current bank statement from your sponsor(s) indicating that the required funds are available. The bank statement must be written in English on official bank letterhead and must contain an account number and the amount of money available in U.S. dollars or its foreign currency equivalent. The bank statement must be also signed by a bank official and dated within six months of the intended semester of admission. The sponsor(s) name(s) must be clearly mentioned on the bank statement.

3. Government-sponsored or company-sponsored students must submit an official letter from their sponsoring government or company indicating which costs (tuition, fees, health insurance, housing, food, etc.) will be provided. 

4. Proof of English language competency. For more information, please click here.

If you would like to receive your I-20 form once you get accepted, be sure to send the above documents along with your application form. 

Spouses and Children (Dependents): 

If you will be accompanied by your spouse and/or children, you must show the following:

  • An additional $6,000 in financial support for the first dependent and for each dependent after that you must show an additional $5,000.
  • You also need to provide clear copies of your dependents passport name page, a marriage certificate for you and your spouse and a birth certificate for each accompanying child. The certificates must be in English.

The University would then issue immigration documents that include your dependent(s) which would allow them to apply for the F-2 dependent visa.

After You Receive Your I-20:

1. Pay the SEVIS Fee Once You Receive Your I-20 Form. (The SEVIS fee must be paid after you obtain your I-20 or DS-2019 Form from the University of New Haven and before you go to your student visa interview at the U.S. embassy/consulate in your home country).

2. Visit the following websites:

Other Required Documentation:
  • Health Examination Form
    (To be completed by a doctor in your home country before your arrival to the University of New Haven.  Don't forget to bring it with you!)