How to Apply for Graduate Financial Aid

For Graduate students seeking aid for the 2023-2024 academic year for Fall 2023, Spring 2024 or Summer 2024, please submit only the following documentation:

About the FAFSA

You must list the University of New Haven as one of the schools entitled to receive this information and list our Title IV school code # which is 001397. Students who applied for aid in the previous academic year may file a "Renewal FAFSA". Even though your renewal FAFSA may list "University of New Haven", you must put the Title IV school code #001397 on the application. As long as you have listed the 001397 University of New Haven code # on your application, we will receive your FAFSA information electronically from the processing center. If you previously completed the FAFSA and received your processed Student Aid Report from the federal processing center but did not authorize release to the University of New Haven you should log into your FAFSA and add the 001397 school code.

Students selected for a process called Verification will need to complete a Verification Worksheet and provide copies of the 2021 Tax Return Transcript(s). Students not utilizing or unable to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval process on the FAFSA must obtain a copy of the 2021 Tax Return Transcript(s) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Visit and select the option "Get Your Tax Record" where you will be provided with options to either obtain the tax return transcript online or by mail. Students are asked to provide the verification information as soon as possible. Delays in receipt of the verification documentation almost always delays the processing and disbursing of your financial aid. As a result, late fees and holds may be placed on your account so its important that you pay close attention to the information you receive from our office.

FAFSA TIP FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS - Based on your status as a "Graduate Student" FAFSA considers you an independent student and does not require you to provide parent information. As such when answering the questions on the FAFSA that refer to the number in your household and the number in college, be aware that FAFSA is only referring to you, your spouse, your children and any other legal dependents you may have. Please do not include your parents or siblings in this data field.

The financial need of each student is used to determine aid eligibility. Need is calculated by subtracting the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), as determined by a federally mandated formula using the financial information supplied on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), from the Cost of Attendance (COA). Based on the student's need, the Financial Aid Office will determine an aid package. Incoming students are notified of their aid eligibility through a financial aid award notification which is sent to their home. This correspondence details the funds and amounts that the student has been awarded. New students begin receiving award letters in late February upon completion of the FAFSA AND acceptance into the university.

Returning students will be sent an email to their University of New Haven email address in July alerting them that their financial aid award is ready. Students should log into the online University of New Haven financial aid system to view and accept their financial aid award.

Student's interested in applying for financial aid are encouraged to do so as early as possible to ensure full consideration for available funds. Financial aid applications must be completed three weeks prior to the last day of the term or academic year for which you are seeking aid in order to ensure enough time is available for processing and disbursing of funds. Completing your application too late may result in the inability to process any financial aid for the academic term or year.

As always, our Financial Aid Office is here to assist you in making the right choices in financing the valuable investment of higher education.

NOTE: Once you have completed your financial aid application and it is reviewed, additional forms and documents may be requested. If you will receive financial assistance or scholarships from an outside source (including employer tuition reimbursement) for the academic year, you must declare this information to the Financial Aid Office. Financial aid applications must be completed and loan applications certified prior to the last day of the term for which you are seeking aid.