Application Requirements for International Graduate Students
Master’s Application Checklist
- Online application
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Transcripts (in English) from all colleges or universities attended. Transcripts must be submitted in sealed envelopes and mailed directly to the admissions office. If official documents are unavailable, unofficial documents can be uploaded through the online application system for initial review only. However, all official documents must be received before the start of classes for the admitted semester.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- A Statement of Purpose
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- English Language Requirement (see here for more detailed information):
- Students applying for a graduate degree program in our Tagliatela College of Engineering must meet one of the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL: 75
- IELTS: 6.0
- PTE: 50
- Duolingo: 105
- Students applying for a graduate degree program in our College of Arts & Sciences, School of Health Sciences, Henry C. Lee College or our Pompea College of Business must meet one of the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL: 80
- IELTS: 6.5
- PTE: 53
- Duolingo: 105
- Students applying for a doctorate or Ph.D. program must meet one of the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL: 100
- IELTS: 7.5
- PTE: 68
- Duolingo: 125
- Alternatively, a student can complete the University of New Haven’s Academic English Preparatory Program.
- Certain majors require GRE and/or GMAT test scores. GRE School Code: 3663; GMAT school code: P1X-DS-94. See GRE/GMAT section of this page for more information.
- Applicants from India must submit detailed semester-by-semester mark sheets/academic transcripts. CONSOLIDATED mark sheets alone are not acceptable.
- Students who have received a 3-year bachelor degree from India will be required to submit a course-by-course evaluation from World Education Services (WES) to show their degree is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree. The evaluation can be submitted electronically to the University of New Haven. Applicants from India with 3-year degrees may submit an additional year of a Master's degree or a one-year Post Graduate Diploma from a recognized university in order to be considered for admissions to a master’s program.
- All applicants will need to submit a WES evaluation for the M.S. in Nutrition Sciences.
Additional requirements for Ph.D. Applicants
- 3 Letters of recommendation
- An academic or other professional writing sample
- The Statement of purpose must include applicant background, goals, and reasons for pursuing their Ph.D. degree at the University of New Haven
- A minimum TOEFL score of 100, PTE score of 68, IELTS score of 7.5 or 125 on the Duolingo test
Application Deadlines for International Students
You can view a list of admissions deadlines here.
Sending Your Documents By Mail
Mail Official Documents to:
University of New Haven
Office of Graduate Admissions
Maxcy Hall, 129
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT 06516
In an effort to minimize application processing time and to support our paperless application process, you should only mail official documents to the office.
All unofficial documents must be uploaded through the online application system to support the initial admissions review. Any unofficial documents mailed to the office will be discarded.
See here for more information on Conditional Admissions and our Academic English Preparatory Program.
Please Note: GRE/GMAT test scores are required for Fall 2023 master's degree applicants applying to the following programs:
- Criminal Justice (Ph.D.)
- Forensic Science (M.S.)
* The GRE is optional for graduates of regionally accredited United States colleges and universities when applying to these programs