Policy on Modifications to Housing and Dining

Modified Housing/Dining Policy

The University of New Haven strives to provide the best housing and dietary arrangements to suit the particular needs of our students. A variety of housing and dining options currently exist for that purpose, but we recognize that there are circumstances where particular requests and accommodations may need to be considered. This policy is created for that purpose. 

Students needing consideration for modified housing/dining options, specific types of rooms (e.g. single room, double room), access to specific facilities/equipment within a room (e.g. bathroom or cooking facilities, roll-in or transfer showers), or use of alternatives due to a medical condition (e.g. air conditioning) should complete Modified Housing/Dining Requests by the deadlines outlined in the procedures below. 

Requests for modifications are carefully evaluated by the ADA/504/FHA Committee.

A student requesting modified dining options must first meet with the University of New Haven’s Director of Dining Services/Executive Chef to discuss their specific dietary issues, for a determination as to whether Dining Services can meet their needs. A Modified Dining Options Meeting Form must be completed at this meeting. The form must be submitted by Dining Services with the appropriate signature in order for the student's Modifications to Housing/Dining Packet to the Accessibility Resources Center to be considered complete. The completed form and packet must be submitted to the Accessibility Resources Center but the appropriate deadlines to ensure the best opportunity for accommodations.

Modified Housing/Dining Procedures

Application Process:

To begin the evaluation process, students must submit a completed request for Modifications to Housing and/or Dining Options packet to the Accessibility Resources Center.

Request a Modification to Housing or Dining Options Packet by contacting us at (203 )932-7332 or AccessibilityResCtr@newhaven.edu

The packet includes the following:

1. Modifications to Housing and/or Dining Options Form Student's Section upon which the student has specified a requested accommodation, has included a clear description of what type of housing configuration and/or dining option is being requested, an explanation of how the request relates to the impact of the condition, and any possible alternatives if the requested housing configuration/dining option is not possible.

2. Health Care Provider Verification Form documenting the condition and functional limitations that are the basis of the request. 

3. Completed Intake Form for Modified Housing/Dining.

4. Housing/Dining/ Parking Modification Committee Release of Information Form.

5. (For students requesting modified dining) Completed Modified Dining Options Meeting Form.

Once a student has been approved for a housing/dining modification, they will meet with the Assistant Director of Residential Life to discuss their housing assignment and/or meal plan. Specific residence halls, room types and/or meal plan options are not guaranteed.

Application Deadlines:


New Students:  The entire Modified Housing/Dining Packet should be submitted to the Accessibility Resources Center by June 15 prior to the start of the Fall semester and by January 10 prior to the start of Spring semester. Any request received after the June 15 and January 10 deadlines will risk delay or substitution.


New Students: The entire Modified Housing/Dining Packet, including the Modified Dining Options Meeting Form, should be submitted to the Accessibility Resources Center by September 7 for the Fall semester and by January 27 for the Spring semester. Any requests received after the September 7 and January 27 deadlines will be tabled until the following semester.

Meetings will be held to hear requests completed by the deadlines within 10 business days of the deadline, and students will be notified of the outcomes shortly thereafter.

Incomplete Requests:

Incomplete requests will automatically be tabled and will not be presented for committee vote. Students will be notified that their cases have been tabled, pending receipt of missing information/documents.

Requests that include documentation that has been completed by someone other than an appropriate professional as designated in the University's documentation guidelines will automatically be tabled and will not be presented for committee vote.  Students will be notified that their cases have been tabled pending receipt of missing information/documents.

Requests Submitted After the Deadline:

Requests submitted after the deadline will be heard but risks delay or substitution. 

In order to continue to receive Modified Housing/Dining:

Once a student has been approved for Modified Housing/Dining, they must notify the Accessibility Resources Center of the intention to retain Modified Housing/Dining accommodations. An email will be sent to all students who have approved accommodations, to which they must reply by the specified deadline.

The deadline for renewing accommodations for the upcoming Fall semester is January 27 (in order for the request to be reviewed and approved prior to the start of the Room Selection Process).  

Notification should be completed as early as possible as some students may be required to submit updated documentation, and documentation must also be received by the January 27th deadline in order for the renewal to be considered. 

In addition, students approved for modified housing must have submitted their Room Selection Deposit and completed their Housing License Agreement by the published deadline.  Depending on the housing modification approved, a student may have the opportunity to request a roommate(s).  Intended roommates must also have submitted their Room Selection Deposit and completed their Housing License Agreement by the published deadline.  Students must have affirmed their intent to live in residential housing in order to make a request a request to modify housing.

The Appeal Process:

Requests for modified housing and/or dining options will be reviewed by the ADA/504/FHA Committee and a letter will be sent to the student confirming or denying the request.  If the request is denied, students have the option to appeal the decision the following way:

Appeal the decision with additional medical documentation for reconsideration.  New documentation should be forwarded to the Accessibility Resources Center. The ADA/504/FHA Committee will review the case and reconsider the decision based on this new information.

**Appeals related to modified dining options MUST be received by September 14 for the Fall semester, and by February 14 for the Spring semester in order to be processed by the 5th week of the semester.

Requests for Use of an Air Conditioner due to Medical Reasons:

* Students approved for the use of an air conditioner will either be placed in a residence hall with central air conditioning or in a room/suite/apartment where a student's air conditioner may be installed by a University Facilities staff member. Room placements will be at the discretion of the Office of Residential Life based on availability.

Students who request air conditioners for the spring semester (through the Accessibility Resources Center) may access the modified housing request packet online and follow the procedures noted above. Applications for modified housing must be submitted by theJanuary 10 deadline in order to ensure approved accommodations can be met.  

Emergency Requests and Late Requests


Emergency requests for modified housing received after the deadlines listed above or during the course of a semester will be given consideration only with the acknowledgment by the student that specific requests for room accommodation may not be possible in the middle of an academic year due to the majority of students being assigned a room for the fall in which they continue for the full academic year.  Late requests may result in delay or substitution.


Requests for modified dining received after the deadlines listed above will generally not be given consideration for the current semester. Late requests, excepting emergencies (e.g. conditions diagnosed after the deadline), will result in requests not being considered until the following semester.