Family Calendar Fall 2020
Welcome to our new parents and family members and welcome back to our returners! For all new Charger Family members, the Dean of Students Office publishes a monthly calendar to provide important information we think you should know to support your student as they navigate college life.
The calendar will provide you themes the University focuses on each month, deadlines, event dates, etc. Students should always check their email, offices’ and recognized student organizations' social media pages, Charger Connections, and myCharger for more the most up to date information and event details.
We know that this Fall will be challenging due to Covid 19. How we traditionally provide programming and events will change, but there are great opportunities for your students to get involved virtually! There are also ways for students to connect safely on campus by following all state and campus health and safety guidelines. We may need to do things differently these days, but we are still doing a lot to support and engage with your students!
For more specific questions, please contact the Dean of Students Office by emailing DeanOfStudents@newhaven.edu.
For more information, please consult these online sources:
- Health Services
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Myatt Center
- International Student Services
- Residential Life
- Charger REC
- The Center for Student Engagement, Leadership and Orientation (CSELO)
- Career Development Center
- Dean of Students Office
- Covid-19 Plan
Themes for the Month
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- Medic Alert Awareness Month
- What Will Be Your Legacy Month
- National Wellness Month
Behaviors/Topics Students May Want to Discuss
- Anxiety or excitement about new roommate(s)
- Apprehension about making new friends
- Doubts about school choice for new students or returners contemplating transferring
- Anxiety about financial situation
- Worry or excitement about academic pursuits
- Nervousness about staying healthy in this new environment and exposure risks
- Frustration with new safety regulations and social distancing
- Online classes—tired of this platform and frustrated with online learning
Advice for Family Members
- Plan ahead—don’t wait until last minute to check E-Pay, rectify your bill, buy supplies, etc. This will aid to yours and your student’s stress level.
- Be a co-pilot not a helicopter parent. Don’t take over when things seem scary or hard for your student. Instead, help them navigate this new situation and work through it together.
- Look at the website together and talk about resources on campus and how to ask for help.
- Talk with your student about personal hygiene and safety measures. Plan ahead to purchase supplies like hand sanitizer, rubber gloves, masks, disinfecting wipes, etc., so your student feels prepared to care for their health and safety on campus.
GSS - Graduate Student Services
CSELO - Center for Student Engagement, Leadership and Orientation
ARC - Accessibility Resources Center
ChargerREC - Recreation Center
CAPS - Counseling and Psychological Services CDC - Career Development Center
Please note that dates may change and the most recent and up to date information in regards to Opening can be found on the Covid 19 page.
|TBD - Group leader will contact you directly||Early Arrival Groups Move-In|
|August 14, 18, 20, 21||Returning Student Move-In (RSVP through myHousing)|
|August 19, 20||New Student Move-In (RSVP through myHousing)|
|Monday, August 24||Term Start - Classes Begin with Flexible Attendance|
|Week of August 24 (exact dates TBD)||Registration|
Center for Student Success
Schedule an appointment in Starfish:
- Find CSS Staff in your Success Network
- You can meet via Zoom, phone or text chat - you can choose what is best for you!
- Chat with a Success Advisor - Open Hours
- Monday – Friday between 12pm and 4pm
- Direct Message with CSS - no audio or video required
- Zoom link: https://unewhaven.zoom.us/j/614000517
- Text message: 860-531-8611
Counseling and Psychological Services Support (CAPS)
Phone: (203) 932-7333 to schedule an appointment
Director Email: email@example.com
Crisis/Emergency Services: (203) 932-7333, and select option 2, which will connect you to the on-call clinician
Office of Residential Life (ORL)
Follow us @unewhavenreslife on Instagram to learn about these opportunities.
The Office of Residential Life has moved its ChargerBucks program online! Students who live on campus are eligible to earn “Virtual ChargerBucks” by attending our virtual programming, engaging with us on social media, participating in surveys, and sharing their good grades with staff. Students and families can follow us @unewhavenreslife on Instagram to learn more about opportunities to win ChargerBucks!
The ChargerBucks Giveaway event is being postponed until the Fall semester. More information about how students who have earned ChargerBucks and how they can participate will be sent out at a later date.
Dean of Students Office (DOS)
The Dean of Students Office is available weekly for virtual office hours. Please consult your University email or the Dean of Students page via myCharger for details including time, date and Zoom link. Follow us on Instagram @unewhaven_stuaffairs.
Accessibility Resources (ARC)
Staff will also hold open office drop-in hours (30 minute appointments) for brief check-ins, questions and other assistance via Zoom. To schedule a Zoom drop-in appointment, students should send an email to the staff member with whom they wish to have a drop-in appointment including their preferred time.