Veterans Affairs

Certification of veterans educational benefits is a service provided by the Office of the University Registrar. The certification official's office is located in Bergami Hall. The office serves as a liaison between the University of New Haven student veterans and the DVA Office to process VA forms for DVA educational benefits, advise student veterans about certain procedural requirements, and certify enrollment of the University of New Haven student veterans to the DVA.

DVA and the Registrar's Veterans Affairs Office at the University of New Haven closely monitor each student veteran's enrollment status and academic program.

Student veterans at the University of New Haven have the following responsibilities:
  • Contact the VA Benefits Certification Official each term for re-certification;
  • Register only for courses that are required for completion of your declared degree;
  • Do not register for courses for which you have previously received a passing grade/credit (even if taken at another institution).

Notify the VA Benefits Certification Official if you:

  • change your declared major
  • change course load
  • withdraw from classes
  • do not enroll for a term for which you are certified
  • change your address
  • have depleted your VA educational benefits

For more information on how to apply for VA benefits, or how to transfer your existing VA benefits to the University of New Haven, or eligibility and payment questions, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office at:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Regional Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, N.Y. 14240-4616
1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)

If you have questions or concerns, you may contact the Veterans Certifying Official, Kila Colucci, or Manager of Military & Veteran Affairs, Ryan Noonan, during office hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.

Kila Colucci
Phone: (203) 932-7132
Fax: (203) 931-6096
Secure fax to School Certifying Official (SCO): (833) 642-0464

Ryan Noonan
Phone: (203) 932-7350

Military Leave Policy

Exit Procedures for Students called to Active Military Duty

To initiate a military leave from the University of New Haven, please contact Ryan Noonan, Manager of Military and Veteran Affairs at The student will be directed to the Registrar's Office which will collect the proper paperwork which must include written documentation of the military instructions. The Registrar's Office will then inform the appropriate offices of the student's military leave. Because every student's situation is different, each leave will be handled on a case-by-case basis. However, certain basic procedures are applicable and these are described in the following paragraphs.

Academics Provisions

These are two possibilities: normally the student will take a military leave with withdrawal from courses, since incompletes (INC's) will not likely be feasible in most cases. Where course withdrawal occurs, full tuition refunds will be made, coordinated with the Registrar's Office and the Bursar's Office. Students in this situation who are receiving financial aid should also contact the Financial Aid Office.

If the leave is sufficiently late in the term to issue an INC grade for any course (as judged by the faculty member under existing university policy) then an INC can be given. However, care should be exercised in the granting of INC, since the student may remain on leave for an extended period, which may pose difficulties for ultimate completion of the course. If an INC is granted, no tuition credit will be given. If INC is awarded for some courses and withdrawal from others, the tuition will be pro-rated in coordination with the Registrar's Office, Financial Aid Office and the Bursar's Office.

Housing and Food Charges

If the leave results in a full tuition refund (withdrawal from courses) the term housing charge will be refunded. The food charge will be pro-rated.

If the leave results in at least one INC, both the housing charge and the food charge will be pro-rated.

Financial Aid Ramifications

Students are urged to submit documentation of their military activation to the Financial Aid Office. Students going on military leave with questions regarding financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office, telephone: (203) 932-7315, fax: (203) 931-6050.

Students with Federal Student Loans

Students must complete Loan Exit Counseling at and notify their loan servicer(s) that they have been called to active duty. Provide documentation as required.

More information may be obtained by contacting