The UIS provides a variety of services for F-1 and J-1 students and scholars. Many of these are virtual by submission of request forms. The UIS forms are explained below. Students and scholars may also email the UIS or make an appointment to visit the UIS on Navigate in myCharger. When you come to the UIS, be prepared to show your student ID card. Some inquiries may be complex processes, but the UIS will guide you in what you need to do. We know that maintaining your visa status is stressful, but we are here to help. If you have troubles, contact the UIS as soon as possible so we can help you decide what to do.

All forms can be found in the University Immigration Services Portal.

General Inquiry Form - Current Students

If students or scholars can’t find the answer to their question in the myCharger resources or they don’t know how to request what they need, they can submit a general inquiry for the UIS to respond. Please note that new international students still in the pre-arrival period should first consult with their admissions counselor.

Personal Information Update Online Form

All F-1/J-1 students must report any changes of their name, address, or contact information to UIS within 10 days of the change. Please complete the form to ensure all of your personal and emergency contact information is accurate and up to date. The UIS will update your SEVIS record accordingly.

I-20/DS-2019 Reprint Request Form

This form is used by F-1/J-1 students or scholars who are requesting a new I-20/DS-2019 because theirs was lost, stolen, or damaged. It may also be used if the travel signature section is full on a student's current I-20/DS-2019. Additional evidence may be required depending on the reprint reason. Please allow 2 - 5 business days for the request.

Less Than Full-Time Enrollment

F-1 students who are registering for a less than full-time academic load in their last term must submit this form upon registering for their coursework for that term. You must also upload to the e-form, the Advisor Approval Form signed by your academic advisor. You should do a degree audit with your academic advisor to make sure you will be completing all required coursework. Additional evidence is needed when submitting this form for reasons other than the final semester. For example, if this form is submitted for medical reasons, attach medical documentation indicating a diagnosis and doctor's instructions regarding study. If this form is being submitted for reasons related to academic difficulty, a conversation between the academic advisor and the DSO is warranted.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) I-20 Request Form

This form is used for F-1 students who are taking an approved internship course, whether the internship is paid or unpaid. Students must meet the eligibility requirements for CPT and follow the designated CPT process. First, students must submit the Internship Form in the ChargerLInk system, register for the internship course, and have an offer letter for their internship position. The final step is to request a new I-20 with CPT authorization on Page 2. You may not start working at your internship until you have the CPT authorization on you I-20. Evidence needed: offer letter, complete downloaded Internship Form from Chargerlink (with advisor approval).

Post-Completion OPT Request Form

All students applying for Post-Completion OPT must complete the “OPT Online Preparation Course” in Canvas prior to submitting the OPT Request Form. UIS will provide a virtual information session and Q & A times as well. We recommend you do a degree audit with your academic advisor to assure this is your last semester, and if for any reason you think you may need to repeat a course or extend your program end date, please wait to apply for OPT until you know. Check the end date on your I-20 to confirm it matches your projected coursework completion. If not, contact the UIS. Please note that you become eligible to apply for OPT 90 days prior to your program end date, and you can apply until the end of your 60-day grace period. Evidence needed: review the information on the OPT Application Process page or in the Canvas course for a detailed application checklist.

STEM OPT I-20 Request Form

Students eligible for a two-year STEM extension to OPT need an I-20 issued specifically for this application. More information about applying for the STEM extension can be found in the OPT Handbook. Evidence needed: copy of the completed I-765 for category c3C, copy of the completed I-983, employment offer letter, Post-completion OPT EAD card.

Update OPT/STEM Employment Information Online Form

Students approved for Optional Practical Training (OPT) and STEM OPT are required to report their employer’s name and address and the start date of employment, as soon as they begin working. They must also report any changes to or termination of employment within 10 days of the change. Students must upload their EAD card and offer letter along with this form. Students may also use this form to comply with the 6-month reporting rules for STEM OPT.

I-20/DS2019 Extension Form

This form is needed by students who are still working towards their degree completion but need more time than their I-20/DS-2019 currently allows. This form must be received at least one week prior to your current program end date. Do a degree audit and discuss it with your academic advisor so you know how much time you need to complete all requirements. Download the Advisor Approval Form and give to your advisor to fill out and sign, Then upload the signed form to this e-form along with updated financial certification for the additional time required. Please note that if you fail to extend your before the end date, your SEVIS record will auto-terminate after 60-days and you will not be eligible for OPT. If this happens to you, contact the UIS to take corrective action as soon as possible.

Shorten Program End Date Form

This form is to be submitted to the UIS for the purpose of adjusting the program end date on the I-20 or DS-2019 because the student will complete their degree requirements sooner. The student should do a degree audit with their academic advisor to be sure they are meeting all requirements to graduate. Download the Advisor Approval Form and give to your advisor to fill out and sign, Then upload the signed form to this e-form.

F-2 Dependent Form

For students who would like to request an F-2 dependent form I-20 for their spouse or child(ren) to join them in the U.S. Evidence needed: copies of passport(s) of family member(s), proof of relationship (marriage or birth certificate), updated financial certification to cover the added cost of family support. The F-1 must certify an additional $6000 per year for the first dependent and $5000 per year for each additional dependent.

Transfer Out Form

This form must be completed by students who want to transfer their SEVIS record from the University of New Haven to another university. Graduated students on OPT do not need to submit withdrawal paperwork to the Registrar. Evidence needed: copy of completed Registrar’s withdrawal form (if applicable), acceptance letter from the new school, SEVIS transfer-in form from the new school.

Advisor Approval Form (this is a downloadable form)

The Academic Advisor’s approval is needed for the Request for less than full-time enrollment, for requesting an extension of the I-20 program end date, and for a request to shorten the program end date on the I-20. Download this form, fill out the top section and then give it to your academic advisor. Your advisor should fill it out, sign it and give it back to you. You will upload the signed form to the corresponding request e-form.

Letter Request Forms

The UIS can provide various kinds of letters to students on F-1 and J-1 visas. If you would like to request a letter from our office, select the letter below and complete the form fully. Please allow 3 - 5 business days for the UIS to process your request.

Full-Time Status Letter

Complete this form to request a letter that confirms full-time status. The letter may be required for driver's license applications, social security, opening bank accounts, and other official processes. Find more information about driver’s license and state ID applications HERE.

Invitation Letter

Students who wish to invite family members to visit or attend commencement ceremonies, may request a letter for their family members to request a temporary visitor’s visa from the U.S. Consulate nearest them. Parents may be included in one letter, but other relatives may need individual visa appointments and thus separate letters. Limit of 5 letters per student request.

For other letters, email and explain what you need the letter for. Provide the spelling of your name as it appears in your passport, your campus ID, and your SEVIS ID.