The SOAR Family Orientation is a two-day program for guardians of incoming first year students which:
- Familiarizes family members with the campus, programs and services available for students;
- Provides information and addresses concerns through faculty and staff presentations, interactive discussions, and information sessions;
- Provides opportunities to meet the faculty and administrators who will be interacting with your student on a day-to-day basis;
- Gives you a chance to have fun and meet other parents and guardians in a relaxed atmosphere.
Please note: Although the student and family orientation programs take place on the same dates, they are separate. Lodging is NOT provided for families attending the family orientation. A list of hotels located near campus can be access by clicking here.
When students register for SOAR, they have the option to register up to two adults who will be attending the Family Orientation, at no additional charge. Please note that due to space and logistical limitations, any additional family members will be charged a fee of $35 per person at check-in on the first day.
When arriving to campus, please enter through the main entrance of the University on Boston Post Road.
Here's what to bring:
- Pack clothes for both days; comfortable shorts and pants are recommended
- Wear comfortable shoes; you will be on your feet a lot
- Students should pack sheets and a pillow (or a sleeping bag), towel, toiletries, fan and an alarm clock
Hotel reservations for families attending Family Orientation (if applicable)
Shuttles Schedule to the New Haven Train Station (Union Station). Shuttles will run every 30 minutes Union Station ONLY:
- SOAR Day 1: 7:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- SOAR Day 2: 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Charlie's FastPass
- A New Chapter: Fitting in to Your Student's Life at College
- Competency Learning Experience (CLE)
- Family Day Save the Date
- Important Campus Numbers
- LiveSafe App
- LiveSafe App (2)
- Office of Information Technology
- Accessibility Resources Center Presentation
- Career Development Center Presentation
- Center for Student Success Presentation
- Families 101 Presentation
- Financial Aid Presentation
- Health Services Presentation
- Public Safety Presentation
- Office of Residential Life Presentation
- University Dining Presentation