Omar Faruk Emon, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, The University of Akron
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
Dr. Emon has expertise in additive manufacturing technologies. His research focuses on additive manufacturing of smart polymers, printed electronics, and 3D bioprinting. He developed additive manufacturing systems to print functional polymers. He is also investigating 3D printing solutions for biomedical applications.
Dr. Emon joined the University of New Haven in 2021. Prior to that, he worked at the Cornell University in Ithaca, NY as academic support staff. At Cornell, he supported graduate and undergraduate research projects in the Meinig School of Biomedical Engineering. In addition to mentoring the students, he also managed a design lab at Cornell BME.
As part of his doctoral research, Dr. Emon developed a 3D printed stretchable pressure sensor. He developed a pressure-sensitive material by incorporating ionic liquid into stretchable polymers. He also constructed a multi-material 3D printing system by integrating motorized stages and dispensing system. Next, he used that extrusion-based printing system to 3D print the pressure sensor. He explored the area of 3D printed smart-tires and smart-insoles with embedded pressure sensors. He won the Monte Jade Innovation Competition 2019 with his proposal on '3D Printed Smart Tires with Piezoelectric Strain Sensors' in the future tire category.
- Dilibal, S.; Sahin, H.; Owusu-Danquah, J.S.; Emon, M.O.F.; Choi, J.W., 2021, “Additively Manufactured Custom Soft Gripper with Embedded Soft Force Sensors for an Industrial Robot,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 22, Iss. 4, pp. 709–718
- Kim, M.; Philip, D.G.; Emon, M.O.F.; Choi, J.W., 2021, “Effects of Hardness on the Sensitivity and Load Capacity of 3D Printed Sensor,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 22, Iss. 3, pp. 483–494
- Alarmdari, A.; Lee, J.; Kim, M.; Emon, M.O.F.; Dhinojwala, A.; Choi, J.W., 2020, “Effects of Surface Energy Reducing Agents on Adhesion Force in Liquid Bridge Microstereolithography,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 36, pp. 101522
- Emon, M.O.F.; Alkadi, F.; Philip, D.; Kim, D.H.; Lee, K.C.; Choi, J.W., 2019, “Multi-material 3D Printing of a soft Pressure Sensor,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 28, pp. 629-638
- Emon, M.O.F.; Lee, J.; Choi, U.H.; Kim, D.H.; Lee, K.C.; Choi, J.W., 2019, “Characterization of a Soft Pressure Sensor on the basis of Ionic Liquid Concentration and Thickness of the Piezoresistive Layer,” IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, Iss. 15, pp. 6076-6084
- Lee, J.; Lu, Y.F.; Kashyap, S.; Alarmdari, A.; Emon, M.O.F.; Choi, J.W., 2018, “Liquid bridge microstereolithography,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 21, pp. 76-83
- Emon, M.O.F.; Choi, J.W., 2017, “Flexible Piezoresistive Sensors Embedded in 3D Printed Tires,” Sensors, Vol. 17, Iss. 3, pp. 656
- Lee, J.; Emon, M.O.F.; Vatani, M.; Choi, J.W., 2017, “Effect of degree of crosslinking and polymerization of 3D printable polymer/ionic liquid composites on performance of stretchable piezoresistive sensors,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 26, Iss. 3, pp. 035043
- Emon, M.O.F.; Choi, J.W., 2017, “A Preliminary study on 3D Printed Insoles with Stretchable Piezoresistive Sensors for Plantar Pressure Monitoring,” Nov. 3-9, Tampa, FL, Paper No.: IMECE2017-71817
- Lu, Y.; Kashyap, S.; Emon, M.O.F.; Lee, J.; Choi, J.W., 2017, “Development and Characterizations of Liquid Bridge Based Microstereolithography (LBMSL) System,” June 4-8, LA, CA, Paper No.: MSEC2017‐2731