Maggie Holland, Ph.D., MPH
Ph.D., Health Services Research & Policy, University of Rochester
MPH, Public Health, University of Rochester
BSE, Mechanical Engineering, Princeton University
Maggie Holland is a health services researcher focused on maternal and child health, with an emphasis on prevention programs for low-income families. She has examined several aspects of home visiting programs for new mothers, including attrition and visit attendance. She uses administrative data to examine home visiting programs after dissemination into the community, work which has been funded by the NIH (NINR and NICHD). She used data from a home visiting trial to examine gestational weight gain and later health outcomes for mothers and children; maternal depressive symptoms and child health care utilization; and implications of attrition from long-term research studies. She also has expertise in child abuse and neglect prevention research.
- Holland ML, Esserman D, Taylor RM, Flaherty SC, Leventhal JM. Surveillance bias in child maltreatment reporting during home visiting program involvement. Child Maltreatment. (in press)
- Iscoe MS, Holland ML, Paek H, Flood C, Melnick ER. Emergency physicians’ EHR use across hospitals: A cross-sectional analysis. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. (in press)
- Holland ML, Taylor RM, Condon EM, Rinne GR, Bleicher S, Li C, Seldin ML, Younts CW, Sadler LS. Using probabilistic record linkage and propensity-score matching to identify a community-based comparison population. Research in Nursing & Health. 2022. doi: 10.1002/nur.22226 PMCID: PMC9064948
- Amick M, Bentivegna K, Hunter A, Leventhal JM, Livingston N, Bechtel K, Holland ML. (2022). Child maltreatment-related children’s emergency department visits before and during the COVID-19 pandemic in Connecticut. Child Abuse & Neglect. 2022;128:105619. doi: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2022.105619 PMID: 35364466. PMCID: PMC8958138
- Schulman-Green D, Linsky S, Jeon S, Holland ML, Kapo J, Blatt L, Adams C, Chagpar AB. Integrating palliative care into self-management of breast cancer: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Cancer Nursing 2022 PMID: 35353749, doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000001078.
- Holland ML, Condon EM, Rinne GR, Li C, Good MM, Bleicher S, Taylor RM, Sadler LS. (2022). Birth-related outcomes for second children following home visiting program enrollment for new parents of first children. Maternal and Child Health Journal. doi: 10.1007/s10995-021-03365-3 PMCID: PMC8724643.
- Condon EM, Tobon AL, Holland ML, Slade A, Mayes L, Sadler LS. Examining mothers' childhood maltreatment history, parental reflective functioning, and the long-term effects of the Minding the Baby® home visiting intervention. Child Maltreatment 2022, 27: 378-388. PMID: 33678048, doi: 10.1177/1077559521999097.
- Londono Tobon A, Condon E, Sadler LS, Holland ML, Mayes LC, Slade A. (2022). School age effects of Minding the Baby—an attachment-based home-visiting intervention—On parenting and child behaviors. Development and Psychopathology. 34(1): 55-67. doi:10.1017/S0954579420000905
- Brandt EJ, Levin A, Holland ML, Ferrucci LM. (2021). Demographic, lifestyle, and dietary factors associated with red meat consumption among a cross-section of New York City residents. International Journal of Disease Reversal and Prevention. 4(1): 8. doi: 10.22230/ijdrp.2021v3n2a301
- Condon EM, Londono Tobon A, Jackson B, Holland ML, Slade A, Mayes LM, Sadler LS. (2021). Maternal experiences of racial discrimination, child indicators of toxic stress, and the Minding the Baby® early home visiting intervention. Nursing Research. 70(5S Suppl 1):S43-S52. doi: 10.1097/NNR.0000000000000529
- Balasuriya L, Quinton JK, Canavan ME, Holland ML, Edelman EJ, Druss BG, Ross JS. (2021). The association between history of depression and access to care among Medicare beneficiaries during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2021:36(12):3778-3785. doi: 10.1007/s11606-021-06990-4
- Holland ML, Hutchens BF, Sadler, LS. (2021). Encountering child abuse and neglect in home visiting: A qualitative study of visitor and supervisor experiences. Prevention Science. 22(8):1108-1119. doi: 10.1007/s11121-021-01223-w
- Hutchens BF, Holland ML, Tanner T, Kennedy HP. (2021). Does perceived quality of care moderate postpartum depression? A secondary analysis of a two-stage survey. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 25(4): 613-625. doi: 10.1007/s10995-020-03103-1
- Basile Ibrahim B, Kennedy HP, Holland ML. (2021). Demographic, socioeconomic, health systems, and geographic factors associated with vaginal birth after cesarean: An analysis of 2017 U.S. birth certificate data. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 25: 1069-1080. doi: 10.1007/s10995-020-03066-3. Erratum: 2021, 25: 1081-1082. doi: 10.1007/s10995-021-03120-8.
- Mori M, Djulbegovic M, Hajduk A, Holland ML, Krumholz HM, Chaudry SI. (2021). Changes in functional status and health-related quality of life in older adults after surgical, interventional, or medical management of acute myocardial infarction. Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 33(1): 72-81. doi: 10.1053/j.semtcvs.2020.05.001.
- Kovalerchik O, Powers E, Holland ML, Sharifi M, Langhan ML. (2020). Differences in frequency of visits to pediatric primary care practices and emergency departments by body mass index. Academic Pediatrics. 20(4):532-39. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2019.12.011.
- Slade A, Holland ML, Ordway MR, Carlson EA, Jeon S, Close N, Mayes L, Sadler LS. (2020). Minding the Baby®: Enhancing parental reflective functioning and infant attachment in an attachment-based, interdisciplinary home visiting program. Development and Psychopathology. 32(1):123-137. doi:10.1017/S0954579418001463
- Brandt EJ, Silvestri DM, Mande JR, Holland ML, Ross JS. (2019). Availability of grocery delivery to food deserts in states participating in the online purchase pilot. JAMA Network Open. 2(12): e1916444. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.16444
- Condon EM, Holland ML, Slade A, Redeker NS, Mayes LC, Sadler LS. (2019). Associations between maternal experiences of discrimination and biomarkers of toxic stress in school-aged children. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 23(9):1147-51. doi: 10.1007/s10995-019-02779-4
- Condon EM, Holland ML, Slade A, Redeker N, Mayes L, Sadler L. (2019). Associations between maternal caregiving and child indicators of toxic stress among multiethnic, urban families. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 33(4):425-36. doi: 10.1016/j.pedhc.2018.12.002
- Bowie D, Fischer R, Holland ML. (2019). Development and implementation of a forecasting model for inpatient nurse scheduling. Nursing Economics. 37(3):144-51.
- Holland ML, Condon EM, Younts CW, Sadler LS. (2019). Birth outcomes of second children after community-based home visiting: A research protocol. Research in Nursing & Health. 42.2 (2019):96-106. doi: 10.1002/nur.21931. PMCID: PMC6752885
- Mougalian SS, Aminawung JA, Presley CJ, Canavan ME, Holland ML, Hu X, Gross CP. (2019). Prioritization of patient-reported outcomes by women with metastatic breast cancer. JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics, 3:1-3. doi: 10.1200/CCI.18.00107
- Condon EM, Holland ML, Slade A, Redeker NS, Mayes LC, Sadler LS. (2019). Maternal adverse childhood experiences, family strengths, and chronic stress in children. Nursing Research. 68(3):198-99. doi: 10.1097/NNR.0000000000000349
- Holland ML, Groth SW, Smith JA, Meng Y, Kitzman H. (2018). Low birthweight in second children after nurse home visiting. Journal of Perinatology. 38:1610–19. doi: 10.1038/s41372-018-0222-8
- Silvestri D, Holland ML, Ross JS. (2018) State-level population estimates of individuals subject to and not meeting proposed Medicaid work requirements. JAMA Internal Medicine. 178(11):1552-55. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed 2018.
- Joiner KL, Holland ML, Grey M. (2018). Stressful life events in young adults with type 1 diabetes in the U.S. T1D Exchange Clinic Registry. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 50(6):676-86. doi: 10.1111/jnu.12428
- Holland ML, Olds DL, Dozier AM, Kitzman HJ. (2018). Visit attendance patterns in Nurse-Family Partnership community sites. Prevention Science. 19(4):516-27. doi: 10.1007/s11121-017-0829-6
- Ruppel H, Funk M, Clark JT, Gieras I, David Y, Bauld TJ, Coss P, Holland ML. (2018). Attitudes and practices related to clinical alarms: A follow-up survey. American Journal of Critical Care. 27(2):114-23. doi: 10.4037/ajcc2018185
- Ordway MR, Sadler LS, Holland ML, Slade A, Close N, Mayes L. (2018). A home visiting parenting program and child obesity: A randomized trial. Pediatrics. 141(2):e20171076. doi:10.1542/peds.2017-1076
- Holland ML, Thevenent-Morrison K, Mittal M, Nelson A, Dozier AM. (2018). Breastfeeding and exposure to past, current, and neighborhood violence. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 22(1):82-91. doi: 10.1007/s10995-017-2357-1 NIHMS897065
- Groth SW, Holland ML, Smith JA, Meng Y, Kitzman H. (2017). Effect of gestational weight gain and prepregnancy body mass index in adolescent mothers on weight and body mass index of adolescent offspring. Journal of Adolescent Health. 61(5):626-33. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2017.05.005
- Rechenberg K, Whittemore R, Holland M, Grey M. (2017). General and diabetes-specific stress in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 130:1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2017.05.003. PMID: 28551480.
- Holland ML, Groth SW, Kitzman HJ. (2015). Gestational weight gain and health outcomes 18 years later in urban black women. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 19(10):2261-71. doi: 10.1007/s10995-015-1745
- Holland ML, Xia Y, Kitzman HJ, Dozier AM, Olds DL. (2014). Patterns of visit attendance in the Nurse–Family Partnership program. American Journal of Public Health. 104(10):e58-e65. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2014.302115. NIHMS622028
- Holland ML, Christensen JJ, Shone LP, Kearney MH, Kitzman H. (2014). Clients’ reasons for attrition from a nurse home visiting program. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing. 43(1):61-70. doi: 10.1111/1552-6909.12263
- Groth SW, Holland ML, Kitzman HJ, Meng Y. (2013). Gestational weight gain of pregnant African American adolescents affects body mass index 18 years later. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing. 42(5):541-50. NIHMS498743 doi: 10.1111/1552-6909.12230
- DeSocio JE, Holland ML, Kitzman HJ, Cole RE. (2013). The influence of social-developmental context and nurse visitation intervention on self-agency change in unmarried adolescent mothers. Research in Nursing and Health. 36:158- 70. doi: 10.1002/nur.21525
- Holland ML, Yoo, BK, Kitzman H, Chaudron L, Szilagyi PG, Temkin-Greener H. (2012). Mother-child interactions and the associations with child healthcare utilization in low-income urban families. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 16(1):83-91. doi: 10.1007/s10995-010-0719-z
- Holland ML, Yoo BK, Kitzman H, Chaudron L, Szilagyi PG, Temkin-Greener, H. (2011). Self-efficacy as a mediator between maternal depression and child hospitalizations in low-income urban families. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 15(7):1011-19. doi: 10.1007/s10995-010-0662-z
- Yoo BK, Holland ML, Bhattacharya J, Phelps CE, Szilagyi PG. (2010). Effects of mass media coverage on timing and annual receipt of influenza vaccination among Medicare elderly. Health Services Research. 49(5p1):1287-309. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01127.x
- Holland ML, Kitzman H, Veazie PJ. (2009). The effects of stress on birth weight in low-income, unmarried black women. Women’s Health Issues. 19(6):390-97. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2009.07.005
- Holland ML, Huston A, Noyes K. (2009). Cost-effectiveness of testing for breast cancer susceptibility genes. Value in Health. 12(2):207-16 doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4733.2008.00418.x
- Holland ML, Fagnano M. (2008). Appropriate Antibiotic use for acute otitis media: what consumers find using Web searches. Clinical Pediatrics. 57(5):452-56. doi: 10.1177/0009922807313274
- Holland ML, Holland ES. (2007). Survey of Connecticut nurse-midwives. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health. 52(2):106-15. doi: 10.1016/j.jmwh.2006.12.001.