Postdoctoral Fellowship, Yale University
Sc.D., Public Health Nutrition, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Harvard University
MPH, Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Emory University
B.A., Medical Anthropology and Global Health, University of Washington
B.S., Public Health, with Distinction, University of Washington
Alvin Tran, Sc.D., MPH is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Population Health and Leadership. His research focuses on the intersection of body image, disordered eating behaviors, health policy, and racial and sexual minority health. At the University of New Haven, Dr. Tran leads the WeEmbody (or WE) Lab, which is a research working group of public health professionals and students. He also directs the Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Student Ambassadors program.
Dr. Tran is a member of the Academy for Eating Disorders and currently serves as a co-chair for the organization’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee. He is an advocate for the prevention of eating disorders and was the 2018 recipient of the SPARK Impact Award for Activism and Issue Advocacy by the City of Boston.
Prior to pursuing his doctoral training in public health, Dr. Tran was a Health Care Reporter for Kaiser Health News (KHN) in Washington, D.C. At KHN, he covered a variety of health topics, including the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, palliative care, and medical education and training. Dr. Tran’s work appeared in The Washington Post, National Public Radio, and PBS NewsHour.
- Tran A, Gelaye B, Girma B, Lemma S, Berhane Y, Bekele T, et al. Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome among Working Adults in Ethiopia. Int J Hypertens 2011;2011:193719.
- Lemieux AF, Nehl EJ, Lin L, Tran A, Yu F, Wong FY. A pilot study examining depressive symptoms, Internet use, and sexual risk behaviour among Asian men who have sex with men. Public Health 2013;127(11):1041-4.
- Yu F, Nehl EJ, Zheng T, He N, Berg CJ, Lemieux AF, Tran A, et al. A syndemic including cigarette smoking and sexual risk behaviors among a sample of MSM in Shanghai, China. Drug Alcohol Depend 2013;132(1-2):265-70.
- Tran A, Nehl EJ, Sales J, Berg CJ. Problem Drinking Behaviors: Differential Effects of Stress and School Type on College Students. Open J Prev Med 2014;4(4):216-221.
- Tran A, Lin L, Nehl EJ, Talley CL, Dunkle KL, Wong FY. Prevalence of Substance Use and Intimate Partner Violence in a Sample of A/PI MSM. J Interpers Violence 2014;29(11):2054-2067.
- Kossover RA, Chi CJ, Wise ME, Tran A, Chande ND, Perz JF. Infection prevention and control standards in assisted living facilities: are residents' needs being met? J Am Med Dir Assoc 2014;15(1):47-53.
- Lin L, Nehl EJ, Tran A, He N, Zheng T, Wong FY. Sexually transmitted infection testing practices among 'money boys' and general men who have sex with men in Shanghai, China: objective versus self-reported status. Sex Health 2014;11(1):94-6.
- Criss S, Tran A, Ganter C, Aftosmes-Tobio A, Gortmaker S, Viswanath K, et al. A Cascade of Champions: A Qualitative Study about the MA-CORD Media Competition Implementation. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2016;13(4):404.
- Bowling AB, Moretti M, Ringelheim K, Tran A, Davison K. Healthy Foods, Healthy Families: combining incentives and exposure interventions at urban farmers' markets to improve nutrition among recipients of US federal food assistance. Health Promot Perspect 2016;6(1):10-6.
- Austin SB, Yu K, Tran A, Mayer B. Research-to-policy translation for prevention of disordered weight and shape control behaviors: A case example targeting dietary supplements sold for weight loss and muscle building. Eat Behav 2017;25:9-14.
- Tran, A., Suharlim, C., Mattie, H., Davison, K., Agénor, M., & Austin, S. B. (2019). Dating app use and unhealthy weight control behaviors among a sample of U.S. adults: a cross-sectional study. [journal article]. Journal of eating disorders, 7(1), 16. doi: 10.1186/s40337-019-0244-4
- Tran, A., Moran, A., & Bleich, S. N. (2019). Calorie changes among food items sold in U.S. convenience stores and pizza restaurant chains from 2013 to 2017. Preventive Medicine Reports,15(C), 100932. doi:10.1016/j.pmedr.2019.100932
- Tran A., Kaplan K, Austin SB, Davison K, Lopez G, & Agénor M. (2020). “It’s all outward appearance-based attractions:” A qualitative study of body image among a sample of young gay and bisexual men. Journal of Gay & Lesbian Mental Health. doi: 10.1080/19359705.2019.1706683
- Tran A., Smallidge M, Cadavos B, Tran V, Mattie H. (2020). Unhealthy weight control behaviors among a sample of U.S. journalists. Int J Eat Disord. 2020;16. doi: 10.1002/eat.23388
- Tran A., Kerkstra RL, Gardocki SL, Papuga SC. (2021). Lessons Learned: Teaching In-Person During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Front. Educ. 6:690646. doi: 10.3389/feduc.2021.690646
- Flores-Torres M, Tran A., Familiar I, Lopez-Ridaura R, Ortiz-Panozo E. (2021). Perceived Stress Scale: A tool to explore psychological stress in Mexican women. Salud Publica Mex. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21149/12499
- Tran A., Birk N, Skalaban T, Chom S. (2022). Association between perceived discrimination and food insecurity among sexual minority men. Nutr. Health. doi: 10.1177/02601060221080242
- Helms J, Tran A, Carnes N, Nehl E. (2022) Barriers to HIV Related Services Among Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM) in Rural Georgia. jGPHA - GPHA. 8(3).
- Fernandes, C.S.F., Deng, Y., Tran, A.H., Hieftje, K.D., Pendergrass Boomer, T.M., Taylor, C.K., & Fiellin, L.E. (2022). A pilot randomized controlled trial to evaluate a cognitive behavioral videogame intervention: empowerED. Games Health J.
- Tran, A., Darboe, M., Goyal, A. etal. (2023). Association between dating app use and unhealthy weight control behaviors and muscle enhancing behaviors in sexual minority men: a cross-sectional study. BMCPublicHealth 23, 838.
- Rustagi, K., JadKarim, L., Birk, N., & Tran, A. (2023). Discrimination and intimate partner violence among a sample of bisexual and gay men in the United States: A cross-sectional study. Frontiers in Public Health, 11, 1182263. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2023.1182263
- Salvia, M. G., Mattie, H., & Tran, A. (2023). Noticing and Responding to Calorie Labels on Restaurant Menus: Patterns in Sexual Minority Men. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, S074937972300404X. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2023.10.003
Karen Denard Goldman Health Education Mentor Award (2023)
Rollins School of Public Health Matthew Lee Girvin Award (2022)
Dean’s Award for Exemplary Research, Award Recipient (2022)
Emory University’s 40 Under 40, Honoree (2022)
Proclamation of Appreciation, Honoree (2021)
University of New Haven Last Lecturer (2021)
Dean’s Award for Exemplary Teaching, Award Recipient (2020)
Connecticut Magazine’s 40 Under 40: Class of 2020, Honoree (2020)
Academy for Eating Disorders Early Career Travel Fellowship, Award Recipient (2018)
Mayor Marty Walsh and City of Boston Activism and Issue Advocacy Award (2018)
Harvard University 75th Annual Nutrition Symposium, Best Research Poster Award Recipient (2017)
The Fenway Institute, Summer Institute in LGBT Population Health Fellowship Recipient (2015)
University of Washington Ethnic Cultural Center, Activism Award Recipient (2010)