The University of New Haven offers a wide variety of in-depth courses that create a transformational educational experience for our students. To view the complete list of courses you'll take while pursuing a degree in Dental Hygiene, check out the Academic Catalog:
Help protect the gateway to the body
The health of the mouth can affect the health of the entire body. Infection and inflammation of the teeth and gums can have long-term systemic consequences. In our B.S. in Dental Hygiene program, — one of the finest dental hygiene programs in the U.S. — you will learn just how important the dental hygienist is to patients’ overall health and will acquire the in-classroom knowledge and hands-on expertise you need for success in this highly rewarding field.
You will learn important prevention and detection skills as you become both a knowledgeable practitioner and a guardian of your patients’ health. You’ll also:
- Learn about the latest advances in dental hygiene standards and infection control
- Gain experience with modern treatment stations and techniques
- Benefit from cutting-edge virtual instruction programs
- Experience modern digital radiology and dental materials laboratories
- Learn from experienced faculty with vast clinical experience
- Apply what you learn while working with patients at the University of New Haven Dental Center – which has been called "a tremendous hidden gem" – and other internship sites
Career Outcomes Rate (6 month out 2021)
“100 Best Jobs” list in 2018
(U.S. News & World Report)
Estimated growth of dental hygienists employment by 2026
(U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Envision Your Future
The information below is designed to show the many possible careers you could pursue with your major. The research is provided by Encoura, the leading research and advisory firm focused exclusively on higher education. It includes median national salaries and industry growth projections over the next decade. Click here to view the full report.
City Public Health Director
18% Growth 2017-2027
Dental Sales Representative
Degree Program Options
Learn from professors who are dedicated to your success.
Our faculty are leaders and innovators in their fields, bringing both deep professional experience and academic rigor to the classroom.
Nationally Recognized Center for Career Development
All University of New Haven students have access to the many resources available through the University’s Career Development Center, which has been named one of the best in the nation by The Princeton Review.
From career assessments, networking, and job shadowing to on-campus interviews and salary negotiation, the Career Development Center provides the skills and connections to identify a meaningful career and an opportunity to pursue your passion.Learn More
The Charger Blog
University Educators Are Leaders in Fostering Open Pedagogy
The University’s Open Pedagogy Project offers faculty and students exciting opportunities to collaborate to create meaningful educational experiences. The program and the grant-funded projects that several faculty and staff members are a part of also foster the creation of open educational resources, which provide important learning tools while reducing textbook costs.
- Undergraduate Information Sessions and Campus Tours Various Times
Sunday, December 11
- Undergraduate Open House 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Drive-Thru Campus Tour 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Whether you're still in high school or are transferring from another college, we offer full- and part-time opportunities for undergraduates from inside the U.S. and abroad. The admission process can begin as early as the end of your high school junior year.
The Application Process
We offer a comprehensive financial aid program, with students receiving assistance in the form of grants, scholarships, student loans, and part-time employment. Funds are available from federal and state governments, private sponsors, and from university resources. More than 85 percent of the University's full-time undergraduate students receive some form of financial assistance.
In the University’s A.S. and B.S. Dental Hygiene program
- Our curriculum meets the educational requirements for licensure in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VI, VT, WA, WV, WI, and WY.
Click the link below for contact information on State licensure boards.
Click here for more information on Licensure & Professional Certification Disclosures.