The best way for students to look for roommates is through our new off campus database JumpOffCampus. In order to access this site, you will need a University of New Haven email address. If you do not have one, please email email@example.com to discuss your alternative solution. To get started, please visit www.unewhaven.jumpoffcampus.com and register as a student!
TIPS for finding the right roommate
Sharing a living arrangement with someone gives you the benefit of living in a larger apartment for less, and it can be lots of fun, too. However, if something goes wrong, life can become very unpleasant. That is why it is crucial for you to choose your roommate carefully before you enter a written agreement with anyone. You can minimize the likelihood of future problems by getting to know the other person and making sure you each understand and are willing to respect each other's needs and preferences.
Below is a list of things you should consider on your own then discuss with prospective roommates:
- 1. Study habits
- 2. Social habits and lifestyle (pets, smoking, drinking, parties, etc.)
- 3. Privacy
- 4. Sharing common space and personal items
- 5. Sharing household chores
- 6. Sharing financial responsibilities (rent, utilities, certain household items that you both use, etc.)
- 7. Short- and/or long-term guests
- 8. Ability to communicate openly and honestly with the other person
- 9. Any other aspect pertaining to your study and living environment that seems important to you
Finally, once you are confident you have found someone with whom you can get along and are ready to sign a lease, make sure you both understand and are in agreement over the rights and obligations/responsibilities that each of you has under the terms of the lease.