Nancy Ortins Savage, Ph.D.
NRC Postdoctoral Fellow, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD
Ph.D., Chemistry, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OHB.S. Chemistry, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
Professor Savage joined the University of New Haven in 2005. She received her Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY and attended the graduate program in Chemistry at The Ohio State University, where she investigated materials as high-temperature, harsh-condition gas sensors. Dr. Savage was the recipient of a National Research Council (NRC) postodoctoral fellowship, which supported her work at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in Gaithersburg, MD. At NIST, she developed a methodology for integrating sol-gel materials with micro-machined sensing platforms. She recently spent a sabbatical semester at the University of Connecticut synthesizing and characterizing mesoporous materials for catalytic applications.
Dr. Savage’s research interests are within the broad area of materials chemistry. She continues to investigate new materials for chemical sensing applications, particularly composites of metal oxides with conducting polymers. Additionally, she is interested in applications for materials prepared using the electrospinning method, such as analytical separations. During her time at UNH, Dr. Savage has mentored numerous undergraduate students for summer research and thesis projects.
- Associate Professor, University of New Haven, 2011-present
- Assistant Professor, University of New Haven, 2005-2011
- Adjunct Professor, University of Hartford, 2005
- Adjunct Professor, University of Connecticut, Hartford, 2004-2005
- Adjunct Professor, Saint Joseph College, 2003-2005
- Adjunct Professor, Quinnipiac University, 2003
Published Books and Articles
Abigail Freyer*, Nancy Ortins Savage‡, Electrospun Silica Nanofiber Mats:Effects of Sol Viscosity and Application to Thin Layer Chromatography. In The Science and Function of Nanomaterials, ACS Symposium Series volume 1183. Harper-Leatherman, H., Solbrig, C. Ed.; American Chemical Society: Washington D.C., 2014.
Bishwanath Dutta, Sourav Biswas, Vinit Sharma, Nancy Ortins Savage, S. Pamir Alpay, Steven L. Suib, “Mesoporous Manganese Oxide Catalyzed Aerobic Oxidative Coupling of Anilines To Aromatic Azo Compounds,” Angew. Chem. 2016, 128, 2211.
Abigail Freyer*, Nancy Ortins Savage‡, Electrospun Silica Nanofiber Mats:Effects of Sol Viscosity and Application to Thin Layer Chromatography. In The Science and Function of Nanomaterials, ACS Symposium Series, Harper-Leatherman, H., Ed.; American Chemical Society: Washington D.C., Accepted.
Michael A. Collura, Shannon Ciston, and Nancy Ortins Savage, "Effect of freshman chemistry on student performance in sophomore engineering courses." American Society for Engineering Education. American Society for Engineering Education, 2011.
Nancy Ortins Savage, Samuel Daniels, Michael Collura, Inverting the Lecture Paradigm for a Multidisciplnary Course, American Society for Engineering Education Northeast Section Conference 2010 Proceedings, May 7-8, 2010.
Nancy Ortins Savage, “Gas sensing composites of metal oxides with vapor-deposited polypyrrole”, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 143 (2009) 6-11
Nancy Ortins Savage, Sonya Roberson, Greg Gillen, Michael J. Tarlov, Steve Semancik, "Thermolithographic Patterning of Sol-Gel Metal Oxides on Microhotplate Sensing Arrays Using Organosilanes", Analytical Chemistry, 75 (2003) 4360-4367.
N. Savage, B. Chwieroth, A. Ginwalla, B.R. Patton, S.A. Akbar, P.K. Dutta "Composite n-p Semiconducting Titanium Oxides as Gas Sensors" Sensors and Actuators B, 79 (2001) 17-27.
N.O. Savage, S. A. Akbar, P.K. Dutta "Titanium Dioxide Based High Temperature Carbon Monoxide Sensors", Sensors and Actuators B, 72 (2001) 239-248.
N.J.Ortins, T. Kruger, P.K. Dutta, "Recent Advances in Raman Spectroscopy of Heterogeneous Catalysts" in Analytical Applications of Raman Spectroscopy, M. Pelletier, Editor, Blackwell Science Limited, 1999.
M.Vitale, N.B. Castagnola, N.J. Ortins, J.A. Brooke, A. Vaidyalingam, P.K. Dutta, "Intrazeolitic Photochemical Charge Separation for Ru(bpy)32+ Bipyridinium Systems: Role of the Zeolitic Structure", Journal of Physical Chemistry B 1999, 103, 2408-2416.
- NSF-MRI, Award # 1531585, MRI: Acquisition of an X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) System, Principle Investigator: Nancy Savage, Co-Principle Investigator, Saion K. Sinha, 2015-2017, $197,376.
- University of New Haven Faculty Research Award, 2012-2013, $2000
- University of New Haven Faculty Research Award, 2011-2012, $1800
- University of New Haven Faculty Research Award, 2010-2011, $2000
- University of New Haven Faculty Research Award, 2009-2010, $2000
- University of New Haven Faculty Research Award, 2008-2009, $1950
- University of New Haven Faculty Research Award, 2007-2008, $1875
- University of New Haven Faculty Research Award, 2006-2007, $2000
- Connecticut Space Grant Consortium Faculty Research Award, 2006-2007, $6000
- UNH Summer Faculty Fellowship, 2006.
University of New Haven “Excellence in Service” Award, 2013.
Connecticut Quality Improvement Award “Silver Prize” for The Summer Institute For Young Women, 2008.
- CHEM 1115, CHEM 1116 General Chemistry I and II
- CHEM 2211 Quantitative Methods of Analysis with Lab
- CHEM 2221 Instrumental Methods of Analysis with Lab
- CHEM 3332 Physical Chemistry 2
- CHEM 3333, CHEM 3334 Physical Chemistry I and II Lab
- CHEM 4412 Chemistry Seminar
- EASC 2213 Materials in Engineering Systems