Bernard, S., Whitson, M.L., & Kaufman, J.S. (2015). The Moderating Effect of Positive Father Engagement and
Accessibility on a School-based System of Care Intervention for Mental Health Outcomes
of Children.Journal of Child and Family Studies, 24(10), 2923-2933. DOI: 10.1007/s10826-014-0096-0
Weston, R.M. & Whitson, M.L. (2014).The advisor-advisee relationship in graduate Community Psychology programs.
The Community Psychologist, 47, 34-35.
Whitson, M. L. Bernard, S., & Kaufman, J. S. (2013). The effects of cumulative risk and protection
on problem behaviors for impoverished youth of color in a school-based system of care.
Community Mental Health Journal, 49, 576-586.
Crusto, C.A., Whitson, M.L ., Feinn, R., Gargiulo, J., Holt, C., Paulicin, B., Simmons, W., & Lowell, D.I. (2013).
Evaluation of a Mental Health Consultation Intervention in Preschool Settings. Best Practices in Mental Health: An International Journal, 9, 1-21.
Whitson, M.L. , Connell, C.M., Bernard, S., & Kaufman, J.S. (2012). An examination of exposure to
traumatic events and symptoms and strengths for children served in a behavioral health
system of care. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, 20(3), 193-207. DOI: 10.1177/1063426610380596
Whitson, M.L., Martinez, A., Ayala, C., & Kaufman, J.S. (2011). Predictors of parenting and infant
outcomes for impoverished teen parents. Journal of Family Social Work, 14, 284-297.
Crusto, C.A., Whitson, M.L., Walling, S. N., Feinn, R., Friedman, S., Reynolds, J., Amer, M., & Kaufman, J. S.
(2010). Posttraumatic stress among young urban children exposed to family violence
and other potentially traumatic events. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 23.
Whitson, M.L., Bernard, S., Connell, C.M., & Kaufman, J.S. (2010). The Impact of youth and family
risk factors on services recommendation and delivery in a school-based system of care. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research. PMID: 20165927
Whitson, M.L., Bernard, S., & Kaufman, J.S. (2009). Systems of care and the prevention of mental
health problems for children and their families: Integrating counseling psychology
and public health perspectives. Prevention in Counseling Psychology: Theory, Research, Practice and Training, 3, 3-9.
Whitson, M.L. & Kaufman, J.S. Evaluation of Central High School's "Leadership Group." New Haven,
CT: The Consultation Center, Yale University School of Medicine, 2009.
Kaufman, J.S., Griffin, A., & Whitson, M.L. PARK Project: Wrap-Around Evaluation Report. New Haven, CT: The Consultation Center, Yale University School of Medicine, 2009.
NASA Innovative Mars Exploration Education and Technology (IMEET), 09/16 – 09/19
- Melissa L. Whitson & Maria-Isabel Carnasciali, Evaluation Team; $100,000
National Science Foundation, Collaborative Research: Impacts of Prior Work Experience on Adult, Nontraditional, Engineering Students 05/14 - 05/17
- Maria-Isabel Carnasciali, Shannon Ciston, Melissa L. Whitson (Co-PI). $292,000
Society for Community Research and Action (APA) Community Mini-Grant 08/15 – 08/16
- Music Haven Program Evaluation; Melissa L. Whitson, Principal Investigator; $1,200
Summer Faculty Fellowship Research Grant University of New Haven, 2011-2016
- Excellence in Research Faculty Award University of New Haven, 2018
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Faculty Mentor Award University of New Haven, 2014
- National Research Service Award (postdoctoral), August 2008-July 2010
- National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health
- President's Grant for Student Research in Diversity, 2005
- Teachers College Committee for Community and Diversity; Awarded for Dissertation Research.
- Herbert W. Rogers Psychology Prize, 1998
- Lafayette College; Awarded to the outstanding graduating student in psychology.