B.Sc. Chemistry, University of Edinburgh
Ph. D. Chemistry, University of East Anglia
B.Sc. Chemistry, University of Edinburgh
Ph. D. Chemistry, University of East Anglia
Dr. Sutherland has been teaching at the University of New Haven since 2010 and became a Practitioner in Residence in 2011. He also works as a Medicinal Chemist at L2 Diagnostics in New Haven. Prior to moving to Connecticut he was a Senior Research Scientist then Principal Research Scientist at Wyeth Research in New York from 1995 – 2010. Before that he held faculty positions at the University of Exeter and University of North London in the U.K.
Dr. Sutherland conducts research into new anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral and antitumor agents. He is the Principal Investigator on a NEI-supported program investigating new agents for treatment of macular degeneration and Co-Investigator on a number of other NIH and DoD funded projects.
1. Intramolecular Cycloaddition Reactions Using Nitrile Sulphides, P.A. Brownsort, R.M. Paton, and A.G. Sutherland,Tetrahedron Lett., 1985, 26, 3727.
2. Nitrile Sulphides. Part 10. Intramolecular 1,3-Dipolar Cycloadditions, P.A. Brownsort, R.M. Paton, and A.G. Sutherland, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1, 1989, 1679.
3. Preparation of 3-Substituted Thian-4-ones and their 1,1-Dioxides via Palladium Mediated Deallyloxycarbonylation, G. Casy, A.G. Sutherland, R.J.K. Taylor, and P.G. Urben, Synthesis, 1989, 767.
4. The First Isolation of an Episulphone Intermediate from a Ramberg-Bäcklund Reaction, A.G. Sutherland and R.J.K. Taylor, Tetrahedron Lett., 1989, 30, 3267.
5. Whole Cell Catalysed Resolution of a Racemic Bicyclic Lactam - A Novel Approach to the Production of Chiral Carbocyclic Nucleosides, S. Taylor, A. Sutherland, C. Lee, R. Wisdom, C. Evans, S. Roberts, and S. Thomas, "Opportunities in Biotransformations," (eds. L.G. Copping et al.) SCI / Elsevier, England, 1990, pp. 105 - 118.
6. Chemoenzymatic Synthesis of (-)-Carbovir Utilizing a Whole Cell Catalytic Resolution of 2 Azabicyclo[2.2.1]hept-5-en-3-one, S.J.C. Taylor, A.G. Sutherland, C. Lee, R. Wisdom, C. Evans, S.M. Roberts, and S. Thomas, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun., 1990, 1120.
7. Chemoenzymatic, Enantiocomplementary, Total Asymmetric Synthesis of Leukotrienes B3 and -B4, I.C. Cotterill, G. Dorman, K. Faber, R. Jaouhari, S.M. Roberts, F. Scheinmann, J. Spreitz, A.G. Sutherland, J.A. Winders, and B.J. Wakefield, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun., 1990, 1661.
8. Synthesis of Either Enantiomer of cis-3-Aminocyclopentanecarboxylic Acid From Both Enantiomers of Racemic 2-Azabicyclo[3.2.0]hept-5-en-3-one, C.Evans, R. McCague, S.M. Roberts, and A.G. Sutherland, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1, 1991, 656.
9. Enzymatic Resolution of Sterically Demanding Bicyclo[3.2.0]heptanes: Evidence for a Novel Hydrolase in Crude Porcine Pancreatic Lipase and the Advantages of Using Organic Media …, I.C. Cotterill, A.G. Sutherland, S.M. Roberts, R. Grobbauer, J. Spreitz, and K. Faber, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1, 1991, 1365.
10. Whole Cell Catalysed Kinetic Resolution of 6-Azabicyclo[3.2.0]hept-3-en-7-one: Synthesis of (-)-Cispentacin, C.Evans, R. McCague, S.M. Roberts, and A.G. Sutherland, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1, 1991, 2276.
11. Potential Use of Carbocyclic Nucleosides for the Treatment of AIDS: Chemoenzymatic Synthesis of the Enantiomers of Carbovir, C. Evans, S.M. Roberts, K.A. Shoberu, A.G. Sutherland, and R. Wisdom, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1, 1992, 589.
12. Porcine Pancreatic Lipase Catalysed Kinetic Resolution of 6 exo Acetoxy 7,7 dimethylbicyclo[3.2.0]hept 2-ene, I.C. Cotterill, S.M. Roberts, and A.G. Sutherland, "Preparative Biotransformations," (eds. S.M. Roberts, K. Wiggins and G. Casy) Wiley, England, 1992.
13. Isolation of Episulfone Intermediates from the Ramberg-Bäcklund Rearrangement. Part 2. X-Ray Molecular Structure of 2,3-Epithio-8,8-dimethyl-6,10-dioxaspiro[4.5]decane S,S Dioxide and of …, S.M. Jeffery, A.G. Sutherland, S.M. Pyke, A.K. Powell, and R.J.K. Taylor, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1, 1993, 2317.
14. (+)-Muconolactone From Arene Degradation in Pseudomonas putida: Production, Absolute Configuration and Enantiomeric Purity, D.W. Ribbons and A.G. Sutherland, Tetrahedron, 1994, 50, 3587.
15. C-C Bond Cleavage in the Oxidation of 2-Hydroxyoxathiane 1,1-Dioxide and 2,2'-Sulfanediyldiethanol S,S Dioxide, N. Hammad and A.G. Sutherland, J. Chem. Res., 1996, 158.
16. Enantioselective and Diastereoselective Synthesis of Erysulfone and Erysulfoxide, L. Bourdeau and A.G. Sutherland, Tetrahedron Lett., 1997, 38, 9081.
17. Ring-Chain Tautomerism of the 1,4-Oxathiane S,S-Dioxide Anion, N. Hammad and A.G. Sutherland, J. Chem. Res., 1999, 376.
18. Development of a Fluorescence Polarization Assay to Screen for Inhibitors of the FtsZ/ZipA Interaction, C.H. Kenny, W. Ding, K. Kelleher, S. Benard, E.G. Dushin, A.G. Sutherland, Lydia Mosyak, R. Kriz and G. Ellestad, Anal. Biochem., 2003, 323, 224.
19. Structure-based Design of Carboxybiphenylindole Inhibitors of the ZipA-FtsZ Interaction, A.G. Sutherland, J. Alvarez, W. Ding, K.W. Foreman, C.H. Kenny, P. Labthavikul, L. Mosyak, P.J. Petersen, T.S. Rush III, A. Ruzin, D.H.H. Tsao and K.L. Wheless, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2003, 1, 4138 - 4140.
20. Solid-Phase Synthesis Of Cyclic Glycopeptides Related To Mannopeptimycin Derivatives, T.-Z. Wang, K.L. Wheless, A.G. Sutherland and R.G. Dushin, Heterocycles, 2004, 62, 131-135.
21. Parallel Synthesis of Indolo[2,3-a]quinolizin-7-one Inhibitors of the ZipA-FtsZ Interaction Designed to Bridge Two Close Hydrophobic Sites on the Surface of ZipA, L.D. Jennings, K.W. Foreman, T.S. Rush III, D.Tsao, L. Mosyak, M. Sukhdeo, W. Ding, E.G. Dushin, C.H. Kenny, S.L. Moghazeh, P.J. Petersen, A.V. Ruzin, M. Tuckman, and A.G. Sutherland, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 2004, 14, 1427.
22. The Investigation of the Mechanism of Action of the Mannopeptimycins, a Novel Class of Glycopeptide Antibiotics Active Against Vancomycin-resistant Bacteria, A. Ruzin, P.A. Bradford, G. Singh, A. Severin, Y. Yang, R.G. Dushin, A.G. Sutherland, A. Minnick, M. Greenstein, M.K. May and D.M. Shlaes, Antimicrob. Agents Chemother., 2004, 48, 728.
23. Hydrophobic Acetal and Ketal Derivatives of Mannopeptimycin-? and Desmethylhexahydromannopeptimycin-?: Semisynthetic Glycopeptides with Potent Activity Against Gram-Positive Bacteria, R.G. Dushin, T.-Z. Wang, P.-E. Sum, H. He, A.G. Sutherland, J.S. Ashcroft, E.I. Graziani, F.E. Koehn, P.A. Bradford, P.J. Petersen, K.L. Wheless, D. How, N. Torres, E.B. Lenoy, W.J. Weiss, S.A. Lang, S.J. Projan, D.M. Shlaes and T.S. Mansour, J. Med. Chem., 2004, 47, 3487.
24. Rapid, Automated Screening Method for Asymmetric Enzymatic Transformations Using a Robotic System and Supercritical Fluid Chromatography, L. Di, O.J. McConnell, E.H. Kerns, and A.G. Sutherland, J. Chromatogr. B, 2004, 809, 231.
25. Combinatorial Synthesis of Substituted 3-(2-Indolyl)piperidines and 2-Phenyl Indoles as Inhibitors of ZipA-FtsZ Interaction, L.D. Jennings, K.W. Foreman, T.S. Rush III, D.H.H. Tsao, L. Mosyak, S.L. Kincaid, M.N. Sukhdeo, A.G. Sutherland, W. Ding, C.H. Kenny, C.L. Sabus, H. Liu, E.G. Dushin, S.L. Moghazeh, P. Labthavikul, P.J. Petersen, M. Tuckman and A.V. Ruzin, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2004, 12, 5115.
26. Mannosidase Chemistry of the Mannopeptimycin Complex, A.G. Sutherland, A. Bailey, P. Cai, R.G. Dushin, M. Liu, J. Lotvin, and M.E. Ruppen, Tetrahedron Asymmetry, 2004, 15, 2821.
27. Discovery Of Novel Inhibitors Of The ZipA/FtsZ Complex By NMR Fragment Screening Coupled With Structure-Based Design, D.H.H. Tsao, A.G. Sutherland, L.D. Jennings, Y. Li, T.S. Rush III, J.C. Alvarez, W. Ding, E.G. Dushin, R.G. Dushin, S.A. Haney, C.H. Kenny, A.K. Malakian, R. Nilakantan, and L. Mosyak, Bioorg. Med. Chem, 2006, 14, 7953-7961.
28. Identification of Anthranilic Acid Derivatives as a Novel Class of Allosteric Inhibitors of Hepatitis C NS5B Polymerase, T. Nittoli, K. Curran, S. Insaf, M. DiGrandi, M. Orlowski, R. Chopra, A. Agarwal, A.Y.M. Howe, A. Prashad, M.B. Floyd, B. Johnson, A. Sutherland, K. Wheless, B. Feld, J. O’Connell, T.S. Mansour, and J. Bloom. J. Med. Chem., 2007, 50, 2108-2116.
29. Design and SAR of Macrocyclic Hsp90 Inhibitors with Increased Metabolic Stability and Potent Cell-Proliferation Activity, C.W. Zapf, J.D. Bloom, J.L. McBean, R.G. Dushin, T. Nittoli, C. Ingalls, A.G. Sutherland, J.P. Sonye, C.N. Eid, J. Golas, H. Liu, F. Boschelli, E. Vogan, Y. Hu, and J.I. Levin. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 2011, 21, 2278-2282.