Borrowing Privileges and Circulation Services for Faculty

University of New Haven ID Cards

Your University of New Haven Campus ID card serves as your library card, and you must present a current University of New Haven ID at the Circulation Desk to charge out library materials. Your card must be current if you intend to use any of the library's databases from off campus. Old IDs will not work. Campus ID Card photos are taken at Echlin Hall Room 114 on the main campus Mondays through Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to noon and from 1:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Summer and evening hours will be posted. For more information, or to schedule an appointment for a different time, please call 203-932-7062 or 1-800-DIAL-UNH, extension 7062.

Library Registration for Faculty

Once you have your current, valid University of New Haven Campus ID Card, you may apply for library privileges by filling out an Application Form for University of New Haven Library Borrowing Privileges at the Peterson Library's Circulation Desk. These forms are also available to print out here.

Loan Periods

Books - 4 weeks; no check-out limit; unlimited renewals*

Government Documents - 4 weeks; no check-out limit; unlimited renewals*

Audiovisual Material (Videos, DVDs, music CDs) - 1 week; check-out limit: 5; no renewals

CD-ROMs - 4 weeks; check-out limit: 5; no renewals

Periodicals (non-current) - 1 week; check-out limit: 5; no renewals

Reference Materials - loan period and check-out limit determined by Head of Reference; no renewals

(*unlimited renewals of items that are not overdue, placed on hold, or needed for Course Reserve)

Overdue Notices

The library's online circulation system automatically generates overdue notices to remind patrons of material that has not been returned by the due date. Subsequent reminder notices are sent to faculty and staff urging them to return long overdue material. Most of these notices are sent via Email. By visiting the Circulation Desk or phoning us at 203-932-7197, you can request that overdue notices be sent by campus or regular mail.


Faculty and staff do not acquire overdue fines. However, if you lose or damage a book, you must pay the replacement cost ($40.00) and processing fee ($5.00) in order to retain your library privileges.

Returning Your Library Materials

You may return books either to the book drop inside the library at the left of the library Circulation Desk or the outside book drop at the parking lot level to the right of the receiving door.

View Your Patron Record and Renew Books Online

You can check your record to see if you have any books out, and when they are due. You can also renew books online if you do this at least one day before they are due and nobody else has placed a hold or recall on them.

Do this by clicking on the "Patron Login" tab at the top of any online library catalog screen or the "Renew Books and View Your Patron Library Account" link on our home page.

Place Holds/Recalls

When you find that an item you want is "charged" (checked out to someone else), you can put a "hold" on it, and library staff will contact you when the item has been returned. If you need an item urgently (i.e., before the due date), you can place a "recall." Items that are recalled must be returned to the library ASAP. To place either holds or recalls, follow these steps:


1) Go to the bibliographic record of the item you want.


2) Click on "Request" at the top of the page.


3) Type in your University of New Haven ID # and last name.


4) The "Type of Request" will default to "Hold." (Select "Recall" if you prefer that option.) Then, click on "OK."


5) On the next screen, type in your University of New Haven ID# where prompted.


6) Hit "Submit Request," and you are done.


To double-check that your Request Hold/Recall was successful, click on "patron" to access your patron record, which will list your holds and recalls as well as your charge-outs. Click on "logout" when you are finished.


If you have problems with any of the steps above, call the Circulation Desk at (203) 932-7197 or e-mail us at

Confidentiality of Patron Records

In order to safeguard the privacy of all its patrons, the Marvin K. Peterson Library adheres to the American Library Association's Code of Ethics, Article III of which states: "We protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted."

All personal information contained in a patron's circulation record, as well as information regarding a patron's use of any library service or material, will be kept confidential.

Library staff may not under any circumstances release information contained in any patron record, including but not limited to items charged out or borrowing history.

Library staff is also forbidden from revealing a patron's use of library computers or any library service whatsoever.

Questions regarding this policy should be addressed to the Head of Access Services or the University Librarian.

Change of Address

Please inform the Circulation Staff if you change your address, phone number or Email address. You may do this in person or by contacting the circulation desk with your updated information at 203-932-7197 or

Missing Book Requests

If you cannot locate a book on the shelf, please inform the Circulation Staff, who will perform a thorough book search for you. Staff will have you fill out a missing book slip at the desk and will look for the book once a week for one month. We will let you know if we find the book or if we have listed it as "Missing" from the collection.

Borrowing From Other Libraries

Borrowing Books from Albertus Magnus College

  • University of New Haven faculty and students may borrow material from the Albertus Magnus College Library with their current, valid University of New Haven ID. 


Borrowing Through the Connecticut Council of Academic Library Directors (CCALD)

  • The Marvin K. Peterson Library has signed the CCALD/CLC Reciprocal Library Borrowing Agreement, which allows full-time or permanent part-time faculty or staff at one of the participating CCALD college and universities to borrow materials from any of the other participating institutions' libraries.


Below are links to the three documents detailing the particulars of the program:

1 - The Procedures

2 - The Agreement that you need to complete and bring to the Marvin K. Peterson Library to be issued a card

3 - A List of the Connecticut Academic Libraries that participate in the program. (Adjust your page setup to print in "landscape" view.)

If you have any questions, call the Circulation Desk at (203) 932-7197 or e-mail us at