New Tenure-Track Professors Announced

Six tenure-track faculty began teaching in the College of Arts and Sciences this fall, enhancing the University’s offerings in the disciplines of theater, music, math, education, communications, English and writing.  The new tenure track faculty all hold doctoral degrees in their respective disciplines, and combined they have published extensively, received various prestigious awards and traveled throughout the world.

Rachel Anderson-Rabern joins UNH as assistant professor of theater. Dr. Anderson-Rabern is an artist/scholar with 15 years of professional and university directing experience across the west coast, as well as actor training at Russia's Moscow Art Theater and Stanford University.  Her creative and academic research focuses on collaborative approaches to performance, the power of everyday tasks and experience, and the aesthetics of slowness and fun.

Erica Haskell, assistant professor of music, joins UNH from Bosnia where she has been doing research on the politics of music in post-war Sarajevo. Haskell specializes in Ethnomusicology, the study of social and cultural aspects of music and dance. She is the recipient of several awards including the Dr. Frances Price Harnish ’25 Fellowship from Brown University.  Haskell’s research areas include the music of South Eastern Europe, the politics of music, applied ethnomusicology, post-war cultural redevelopment, refugee music as well as cultural policy in post-war Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Joseph Kolibol joins the CAS faculty as the chair of mathematics. Dr. Kolibol, who earned his doctorate from Oxford University, has research interests in the areas of applied and computational mathematics, mostly focusing on developing techniques for solving partial differential equations.  He has published extensively and is interested in working with students to form an undergraduate research program in interdisciplinary mathematics.

Assistant professor Shane Smith joins the education department. Dr. Smith began his teaching career in Jamaica and took an interest in special education after a stint teaching students identified with disabilities in the Milwaukee Public Schools. His research interests include postsecondary transition and mathematics education for students with high-incidence disabilities and pre-service teacher education/preparation to work in settings inclusive of students with unique learning challenges, interests, and opportunities.

Assistant professor Elizabeth Christian joins the communications department. Dr. Christian will teach courses in journalism and strategic communication. She is the editor of the award-winning Rock Brands: Selling Sound in a Media Saturated Culture (Lexington, 2011) and the author of a companion yearlong nationally awarded blog on music marketing  published by Rowman & Littlefield. Her other professional research includes work in journalism history, prison journalism, literary journalism and popular culture.

The new director of First-Year Writing is Michelle Trim, an assistant professor in the Department of English. Dr. Trim’s research interests include theories of technology and technical communication, feminism and feminist theory, critical theories of language/ social linguistics and democratic education. She will focus on helping students learn to write deliberately, to use research thoughtfully and to argue effectively in class and through the First-Year Writing program.

Please join the College of Arts and Sciences in welcoming the newest tenure-track faculty.