The mission of the Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA) Council is to serve as an advisory group to the president and campus community, providing strategic advice and recommendations based on observations, reports, and monitoring concerning diversity at the University of New Haven.
The IDEA Council is committed to bringing together students, faculty, staff, administrators, and alumni of all identities. These identities—including, among others, gender, race, ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, religion, varying physical ability and mental abilities, marital status, national origin, socioeconomic status, creed, class, age, profession, veteran status, and regional identity—carry socially constructed meaning and value. As members of the Council, our commitment is to the cultural competency, intercultural and personal development that is best supported in a climate that respects differences and provides a sense of belonging and inclusion.
At the University of New Haven, diversity means embracing and celebrating the many differences that exist among the members of a dynamic, intellectual and inclusive community and welcoming the full spectrum of human characteristics, ideas, and world views. As such, the IDEA Council strongly values the broad range of perspectives arising from our diverse society and the campus community. Diversity stimulates learning, encourages imagination, and benefits all – students, employees, and the greater community. It creates an environment that fosters appreciation of the values, skills, and abilities of everyone.
Culturally Based Recognized Student Organizations
- American Criminal Justice Association (Tolerance Committee)
- Black Student Union
- Caribbean Student Association
- Chinese Student and Scholar Association
- Coalition to Combat Trafficking in Persons
- Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU)
- Delta Alpha Pi International Honor Society
- Elite Step Team
- Engineers Without Borders Club
- Hermadad de Sigma Iota Alpha, Inc.
- Indian Student Council
- International Student Association
- Lambda Alpha Upsilon Fraternity, Inc.
- Lambda Psi Delta Sorority, Inc.
- Latin American Student Association
- National Association for Advancement of Colored People
- National Society of Minorities in Hospitality
- New Life Fellowship
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
- Saudi Student Club
- Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity, Inc.
- Society of Women Engineers
- Student Pagans Educating, Leading, and Learning
- University of New Haven Pride
- Victimology Club