Master Certified Health Education Specialist, National Commission for Health Education Credentialing
Advanced Certificate, Health Professions Pedagogy and Leadership, Hofstra University
Doctor of Public Health, Health Systems Management, Tulane University
Master of Public Health, Health Policy and Management, Emory University
Bachelor of Science, Biomedical Sciences, University of Connecticut
Board Secretary, The HIV League
Learning Institute Chair, American Public Health Association Education Board
Member, New Haven/Fairfield Counties HIV Planning Council
Member, Connecticut HIV Planning Consortium
About Dr. Santella
Dr. Anthony J. Santella is a tenured Full Professor and Interim Chair in the Department of Health Administration and Policy and Director of the Doctor of Health Sciences Program at the University of New Haven in West Haven, Connecticut. He is also a public health researcher, evaluator, advocate, and consultant. Previously, he held positions at Hofstra University, the University of Sydney (Australia), Long Island University, and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
Anthony specializes in infectious disease prevention and control and has interests in HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases, and emerging illnesses like coronavirus (COVID-19). His research helps improve the health and well-being of several vulnerable communities including people who are living with and at risk for HIV/AIDS, gender and sexual minorities, justice-involved persons, youth, and people experiencing homelessness.
Anthony holds several leadership positions including serving on the Board of Directors and Secretary of The HIV League, a nonprofit organization which provides college scholarships to people living with HIV/AIDS, the New Haven-Fairfield Counties HIV Ryan White Planning Council, the Connecticut HIV Planning Consortium, and the New Haven Mayor’s Taskforce on HIV/AIDS. He also serves as an Academic Editor for PLOS One and a reviewer for several public health journals. Dr. Santella has been an active member with the American Public Health Association where he serves in leadership roles with the Joint Policy Committee and Education Board.
Anthony earned a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Connecticut, a Master of Public Health in Health Policy and Management from Emory University, a Doctor of Public Health in Health Systems Management from Tulane University, and an Advanced Graduate Certificate in Health Professions Pedagogy and Leadership from Hofstra University. He is also a Master Certified Health Education Specialist.
Long Island Ryan White HIV Health Services Planning Council Distinguished Provider of the Year, 2020
Hispanic Counseling Center, Professional Achievement Award in Public Health, 2019
New York Health Commissioner’s World AIDS Day Special Recognition Award, 2018
See More Publications
- Santella AJ, Cooper SC, Hernandez, A. Adapting an Inner City PrEP Peer Change Agent Intervention for the Suburbs. Journal of LGBTQ Population and Public Health. In-press
- Santella AJ, Bosley A, Carillo I, Fraticelli D, Muder S. Motivations, Preparation, and Mental Health of COVID-19 Contact Tracers in the New York City Metropolitan Area.Journal of Health and Human Services Administration (in press)
- Sherman S, Goldfinger M, Morris A, Harper B, Leder A, Santella AJ, Krishnamachari B. Effect of modifiable risk factors in Parkinson’s disease: A case-control study looking at common dietary factors, toxicants, and anti-inflammatory medications.Chronic Illness (in press)
- Wang L, Gao B, Santella AJ, Zhuang G, Huang R , Xu B, Liu Y, Xiao S, Wang S. Oral Rapid HIV Testing Attitudes, Behaviors, and Willingness among Dental Patients in Xi’an, China. Plos One. 2021; 16(3): e0248585
- Krishnamachari B, Morris A, Zastrow D, Dsida A, Harper B, Santella AJ. The Role of Mask Mandates, Stay At Home Orders, and School Closures in Curbing the COVID-19 Pandemic Prior to Vaccination. American Journal of Infection Control.2021; 1-7.
- Willenbrock D, Santella AJ. Re-Envisioning the Role of Student Health Centers in Offering LGBTQIA+ Friendly and Sex-Positive Services. Journal of American College Health. 2021. Mar 24;1-4.
- Cooper SC, Doonachar A, Santella AJ. PrEP Attitudes from MSM and Transwomen in the Largest Suburban HIV Epidemic in the United States. Sexuality Research and Social Policy. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13178-020-00518-x
- Perez-Figueroa R. Lurry M. Thompson M, Obonyo D, Santella AJ, Hyden C. Raising awareness about COVID-19 among sexual minority men of color: Sex and the Coronavirus, 2020. Annals of LGBTQ Public and Population Health. 2020; 1-4.
- Santella AJ, Parish C, Dun R, Feaster D, del Rio C, Armstrong WS, Jacobs P, Rosen LR. Dental Care Utilization of Hospitalized Persons Living with HIV and Substance Use, Journal of Community Health. 2020; 1-8.
- Santella AJ. HIV Testing in the Dental Setting: A Global Perspective of Feasibility and Acceptability, Oral Dis. 2020;26(Suppl. 1):34–39.
- Santella AJ. Majam M, Ngo HV, Luis H. HIV Testing: What, Where, and How?, Or Oral Dis. 2020;26(Suppl. 1): 112–116.
- Sharma-Mahendra V, Ranauta A, Yuvra Aj, Santella AJ, Taslim A, Doughty J. The Role of Patient and Public Involvement in Oral Health and HIV/AIDS Research, Practice, and Policy, Oral Dis.2020;26(Suppl. 1):117–122.
- Yuvraj A, Mahendra VS, Chakrapani V, Yunihastuti E, Santella AJ, Ranauta, Doughty J. HIV and stigma in the healthcare setting, Oral Dis.2020;26(Suppl. 1):103–111.
- Wang L, Santella, AJ, Wei X, Zhang H, Huang X, Zhou A, Zhuan G. (2019). Prevalence and protective factors of HIV and syphilis infection among men who have sex with men in Northwest China. Journal of Medical Virology, (92)8; 1141-1147.
- Santella AJ, Leuwaisee P, Davide S, Horowitz H, Krishnamachari B. (2019). Oral, Rapid HIV Testing in the Dental Setting: Experiences from Three Dental Hygiene Clinics. Canadian Journal of Dental Hygienei>, (53)2; 125-129.
- Wei X, Zhang Y, Santella AJ, et al. Effect of early highly active antiretroviral therapy on viral suppression among newly diagnosed men who have sex with men living with HIV in Xi'an, China. (2019). Journal of Medical Virology 91(7); 1-9.
- Wiersema J, Santella AJ, Canady P, Jordan A. Self-Justifications for Unsafe Sex Among Incarcerated Young Men Who Have Sex with Men and Are Living with HIV: Results from a New York City Jail-Based Pilot Intervention. (2019). Journal of Community Health, (44)4; 1-11.
- Wiersema J, Santella AJ, Dansby A, Jordan A. Changes in HIV Knowledge and Risk among Minority Young Men Participating in an Adapted Evidence-based Intervention at Rikers Island. (2019). AIDS Education and Prevention, 31(2), 163–178
- Santella AJ, Matthews A, Casa-Levine C, Pizzitiola L, Doonachar A, Page G. Dental Hygiene Faculty and Student Experiences Implementing Oral Rapid HIV Testing: Implementation experiences of dental hygiene faculty and students. (2019). Journal of Dental Hygiene, 93(1); 23-32.
- Parish C and Santella AJ. A Qualitative Study of Rapid HIV Testing and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Competency in the Oral Health Setting: Practices and Attitudes of New York State Dental Directors. (2018). Oral Health and Preventive Dentistry 91(7), 16(4); 333-338.
- Okala S, Doughty J, Watt R, Santella AJ, et al. The People Living with HIV STIGMASurvey UK 2015: Stigmatising experiences and dental care. (2018). British Dental Journal, 225(2); 143-50.
- Davide S, Santella AJ, Fornari W, Leuwaisee P, Krishnamachari B. Dental Hygiene Patients' Willingness to Participate in Rapid HIV Testing in Three New York City Dental Hygiene Clinics. (2017). Journal of Dental Hygiene, 91(6); 41-8.
- Ngaihte PC, Santella AJ, Ngaihte E, Watt RG, Raj SS, Vatsyayan V. Indian Dentist’s Knowledge, Attitudes, and Willingness to Conduct HIV Testing: A Qualitative Study. (2017). J Interdiscipl Med Dent Sci, 5(4); 1-6.
- Ahluwalia KP, Singh S, Carter S, Santella AJ HIV Testing in the Dental Office. (2016). The New York State Dental Journal,82(5); 42-3.
- Santella AJ, Schlub T, Kress I, Fagan D, Hillman RJ. Australian Community Pharmacists’ Perspectives on Rapid HIV Testing. (2016). Sexual Health, 13(3) 292-294.
- Ngaihte PC, Santella AJ, Ngaihte E, Watt RG, Raj SS, Vatsyayan V. Knowledge of human immunodeficiency virus, attitudes, and willingness to conduct human immunodeficiency virus testing among Indian dentists. (2016). Indian J Dent Res, 2016;27:4-1.
- Santella AJ, Fraser J, Prehn AW, Boye-Codje E. Australian Health Promotion Officers’ Willingness to Conduct Rapid HIV Testing. (2016). Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 27(2):174-177.
- Santella AJ, Conway DI, Watt RG. (2016). The potential role of dentists in HIV screening. British Dental Journal, 220(5), 229-233.
- Santella AJ, Fraser J, Prehn A. Willingness of CHES/MCHES to Conduct Rapid HIV Testing: Results from the PROMISE Study. (2016). Health Promotion Practice, 17(1): 13–20.
- Ngaihte P, Santella AJ, Raj SS, Vatsyayan V, Watt RW. Envisioning the role of Indian dentists in conducting rapid HIV testing for early detection of HIV. (2015). International Journal of Development Research, 5(10): 5975-5977.
- Santella AJ, Clark K, Sumner K. (2015). World AIDS Day: A Call to Action HIV/AIDS Res Treat Open J, 2(4): e18-e21.
- Santella AJ, Schlub T, Schifter M, Tolini M, Hillman RJ. Australian Dentists’ Perspectives on Rapid HIV Testing. (2016). Australian Dental Journal 61: 270-276.
- Santella AJ, Schlub T, Ooi C, Varma R, Hillman RJ. Suburban men who have sex with men’s sexual health behaviour and health promotion needs. (2015). Sexual Health 12, 383-389.
- Wang L, Santella AJ, Huang R, Kou L, You L, Zhang X, Wang S, Wang J, Gao L, Yin J, Zhaung G. (2015). Knowledge of HIV and Willingness to Conduct Oral Rapid HIV Testing among Dentists in Xi'an China. PLOS One, 10(3): 1-10.
- Santella, AJ, Fraser J, Prehn AW. (2014). The Role of Health Education Specialists in Conducting Rapid HIV Testing. American Journal of Health Studies, 29 (1): 13-18.
- Santella AJ, Pollack A, Harrison C, Sawleshwarkar S, Britt, H, Hillman RJ. (2014). Management of Sexually Transmitted Infections by Australian General Practitioners, 2000-2012. Sexual Health, 11(1), 52-57.
- Spierer D. Blanding N, Santella AJ. (2014) Energy Drink Consumption and Associated Health Behaviors among University Students in an Urban Setting. Journal of Community Health 39:132–138.
- Santella AJ, Krishnamachari B, Davide S, Cortell M, Furnari W, Watts B, Haden C. (2013). Dental Hygienists’ Knowledge of HIV, Attitudes toward People Living with HIV and Willingness to Conduct HIV Testing. Int J Dent Hygiene, 11, 287—292.
- Santella AJ, Davide S, Furnari W, Tuthill J, Cortell M. (2012). The Role of a Dental Hygienist in Rapid HIV Testing. Journal of Dental Hygiene, 31(2), 163–178
- Santella AJ, Laraque F, Hilger J, Camhi E. (2011). Development and Implementation of an HIV Care and Treatment Services Prioritization Tool. Journal of Community Health, 162, 325-336.
- Santella AJ, Shi L, Campbell C. (2010). Length of Stay among HIV Infected Patients in Louisiana, 2000-2006.Journal of the Louisiana State Medical Society (36)1, 158-165.
- Santella AJ. (2020). HIV Testing Case Study. In The Oral-Systemic Connection: A Collaborative,Interdisciplinary Clinical Companion for the Healthcare Provider. Dubuque, LA:Kendall Hunt Publishing.
- Santella AJ (ed). (2019). Master of Public Health Competencies: A Case Study Approach. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Santella AJ and Beal G. (2019). Ryan White HIV Services Priority Setting and Resource Management Process. In Master of Public Health Competencies: A Case Study Approach, Burlington, MA. Jones and Bartlett. Pages 77-83.
- Santella AJ and Cohen Brown G. (2019). Oral Rapid HIV Testing in University-Based Dental Clinics in Metro New York City. In Master of Public Health Competencies: A Case Study Approach, Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett. Pages 171-177.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Willenbrock D, Santella AJ. Re-envisioning the role of student health centers in offering LGBTQIA+ friendly and sex-positive services. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, October 27, 2021. (oral)
- Santella AJ, Bosley B, Carillo I, Fraticelli D, Muder SJ. “I wanted to be part of the solution”: Motivations, preparation, and mental health of contact tracers in New York. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, October 27, 2021. (oral)
- Santella AJ, Krishnamachari B, Morris A, Zastrow D, Dsida A, Harper B. The role of mask mandates, stay at home orders and school closure in curbing the COVID-19 pandemic prior to vaccination. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, October 27, 2021. (oral)