Parents' Letter

Dear Parents and Students in Project Lead The Way Courses: 

We hope you are experiencing a rewarding school year, and feel that the pre-engineering courses through Project Lead the Way (PLTW) have been beneficial. There is no better time than right now to contemplate a career in STEM areas as there are many more jobs in the United States than qualified people to fill them. 

Since your child attends a PLTW-certified school, she/he can get a head start on engineering-related career and add prestige to their college admissions applications by receiving college credit from University of New Haven. 

The process is simple: 

1. Students earn at least 70% average in the course {Introduction to Engineering Design (2 credits), Digital Electronics (3 credits), Principle of Engineering (3 credits), or Engineering Design and Development (2 credits)*}. 

2. Students must also score 6 or greater on the End of the Course assessment. 

This assessment (administered by PLTW starting in 2013) is based on a norm-referenced stanine scores which ranges from one (1) to nine (9) with one (1) being the lowest possible score and nine (9) being the highest possible score. 

The University of New Haven college credit grade is based on the following scale: 

Stanine 8 -9: letter grade A
Stanine 7: letter grade B
Stanine 6: letter grade C
Stanine 1-5 – Not acceptable for college credit 

3. Fill out the PLTW College Credit Request form and mail to the address shown 

For eligible students this form is sent home by PLTW teachers (also available at The tuition charge for each course is $200

Important deadline: Eligible students must send the form and check before December of year of completion. 

* To qualify for college credit for EDD, student must first earn college credit for IED and POE. Currently EDD does not have the End of Course Exam. The course grade for EDD along with grades from IED and POE are considered in determining the University of New Haven grade. 

The University of New Haven will send a registration acknowledgment once the transcript is complete. 

Students who apply to colleges other than the University of New Haven may request a transcript be sent to those schools. Each college and university and each academic program (including those at the University of New Haven) establishes its own policies for accepting transfer credits. 

Surveys have shown that students have been accepted at the college of their choice because of their success in the challenging PLTW pre-engineering program. We invite you to consider this worthwhile and valuable option. 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email us at or call us at (203)932-7162.