Frequently Asked Questions for Veteran Students

How do I apply for education benefits?

The easiest way is to use VONAPP .


How do I know if I am eligible?

Veterans should rely on official VA documentation and policies in determining your own eligibility for benefits. As such, we encourage all our veteran students to contact the VA Benefits Counselor directly to discuss their own application and best benefit options. 1-888-GI-BILL (1-888-442-4551)


What does the school need to certify my enrollment?

Chapter 30: Please provide a copy of your DD-214
VOCREHAB: Your VA councilor will send your certification to the University of New Haven
Post 9/11: Please provide a copy of your DD-214 and Certificate of Eligibility


Does University of New Haven participate in the Yellow Ribbon program?

Yes the University of New Haven is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon program. To take advantage of the program you must be at the 100% level of the Post-9/11 GI BILL. The University of New Haven does not have a cap on students or presently contributions.


Are my education benefits taxable?

No! GI BILL benefits are not taxable. For more information please visit the VA Answer Site for more information.


Once I start using my benefits am I required to continue using them until they are gone?

The GI BILL is not an all or none system. If you wish you can use them for a semester and take time off and reapply at a later time. However, if you do not use them before they expire you will lose any unused benefit.

For other questions pertaining to education benefits please visit the Find Answers site provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Contact Us

Veteran Success Center

Maxcy Hall SP2

(203) 931-2907