Environmental Health and Safety
The Department of Public Safety employs a comprehensive Environmental Health and Safety program which is responsible for maintaining and enforcing consistent standards of program quality and safety throughout all University of New Haven campuses.
Staffed by a Connecticut state certified Fire Marshal and supplemented by subject matter experts in enterprise waste management and environmental services, the Environmental Health and Safety program provides professional advice to campus departments on all aspects of environmental, health and life safety.
The goal of the Environmental Health and Safety program is to maintain and constantly strive to improve the safety and well-being of the students, faculty/staff, and visitors to our University of New Haven campuses.
Important Links and Resources
- Chemical Safety Data Sheets
- Make a Kit: http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit
- Make a Plan: http://www.ready.gov/make-a-plan
- Be Informed: http://www.ready.gov/be-informed
- Federal Office of Homeland Security: http://www.ready.gov
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories Manual: https://www.cdc.gov/biosafety/publications/bmbl5/bmbl.pdf
Hazardous chemical wastes are generated in many different processes at the University
of New Haven. These include laboratory teaching and research processes, building operations
and custodial service tasks. The proper management of hazardous wastes is critical
to ensure that the University is operating to protect the safety and health of employees
and students as well as keeping in compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
Proper management of wastes includes: correctly identifying wastes, appropriately labeling wastes, storing wastes properly, performing required weekly inspections; and ensuring that all storage time limits are met. Additional waste information can be found in the University’s Chemical Hygiene Plan.
The following documents are available for download:
The University of New Haven is committed to promoting a safe environment for our students and staff. The Health and Safety department takes a proactive approach to safety training and is continuously developing, improving and updating training programs to train University employees as required by local, state and federal regulations.
The following training presentations are available for download:
- Lab Safety Training
- Lifting Safety Training
- Personal Protective Equipment Training for the University of New Haven
- Universal Waste Management Training
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training - training presentation is on Blackboard