Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

What to Do in Case of a Hostile Intruder

  • Remain calm, do not confront.
  • If possible to safely escape area, do so quietly and quickly (keep hands empty and visible to enforcement personnel).
  • If safe escape is not possible, lock or barricade yourself in the safest place you can quickly get to.
  • Call 9-1-1 and give your location.
  • Turn lights off, remain quiet, out of sight and take cover near concrete walls, file cabinets or whatever is available and keep away from windows and doors.
  • Turn off cell phone ringers.
  • Do not open door, or respond to voice command until you can confirm it is a police officer or University official.
  1. Emergency Contact

    For Police, Fire or Medical Emergencies, dial 911 or the UNH Police Emergency number at 203-932-7070.

    When in doubt, in any emergency please call immediately.

    On campus, you can also use the emergency call boxes or red emergency phones in academic buildings.