Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment authorization for a student to engage in employment directly related to an F-1 student's major area of study. Students may apply up to 90 days prior to their program end date and up to 60 days past their program end date.
Students must submit the following documents to the International Services Office to request an I-20 reflecting an Optional Practical Training request.
1. Optional Practical Training Request Form, which must be signed by your academic advisor. Click Here To Download.
2. Completed Form I-765
3. Completed Form G-1145:
4. Copies of all previous I-20's issued to you from the University of New Haven
5. A copy of your passport
6. A copy of your visa
7. A copy of your I-94 Record
Standard processing time for a new I-20 is between 3-7 business days but may take longer during peak times. You will receive an e-mail when your new I-20 is created with instructions for making an appointment with a DSO to review and compile your application.
During a student’s OPT authorization period they must report to the International Services Office anytime they accept employment by submitting the following documentation:
1. Offer letter (must be on company letterhead, state the date the student began employment, and whether the student is a full or part-time employee.)
2. Copy of EAD card
3. Brief, 3-4 sentence, statement written in the student’s own words, detailing how the employment is related to their major area of study.
Failure to properly report employment in a timely manner can result in termination of your work authorization period and may result in ineligibility for further work authorization applications.
Students must not travel while their application is in process. Travel before receiving your EAD card can result in denial of your application.