Summer Closing Information
Congratulations on another successful year! Thank you for supporting The Office of Residential Life staff and programs throughout this year.
Check Out Procedures
Please make arrangements to vacate the residence halls no later than 24 hours after your last exam. The residence halls will officially close at 10am on Friday, May 15th for all undergraduates (except graduating Seniors).
The residence halls will close no later than 7pm on Sunday, May 17th for Graduating Seniors.
Please alert your RA to the time you are departing campus, by signing up on their schedules posted on their doors. All students must officially check-out with a staff member and be cleared in order to hand in their keys.
Key Desk Schedule and Return of Keys:
Beginning on Friday, May 8th at 8am through Tuesday, May 15th at 10am, each hall will have RAs available during the day to check-out students and collect keys until 8pm. Each hall will have a schedule and/or the duty phone posted so that residents will be able to reach a RA.
All students MUST turn in their residential keys at the checkout desk before leaving campus. Please do not give your keys to someone else to return for you because this is your responsibility.
Please note that if you do not return all of your residential keys by Monday, May 18th there will be a charge of $115 per key for a lock change and for the replacement of your keys.
Students may also decide to not get checked-out by an Office of Residence Life staff member and return their keys (utilizing an Express Check-out envelope) in either the Bixler mail room or Savin Court laundry room. By choosing an express check-out, students waive their right to contest any damage found in their room. ORL strongly encourages all freshmen and transfer students to be checked-out by a staff member.
- The University cannot store furniture, refrigerators, or other personal belongings during the summer.
- The University will not assume responsibility for items left in student rooms or apartments after closing. Any items left will be removed and the cost of removal billed to the students.
- Please look for self-storage units in the area if you need them:
- EZ Access Self Storage 540 New Haven Avenue, Milford, CT (203) 877-2050
- Westy Storage Center 1525 Boston Post Road Milford, CT (866) 229-3789.
What to do before you leave:
- Pack and remove all personal items.
- Check all drawers, closets, bathroom, suite, etc to avoid leaving important items behind.
- Remove EVERYTHING from the walls including tape, tack, staples, nails, etc. from doors, walls and windows.
- Remove all the trash for your bedroom, common area and bathroom including any items such as personal furniture that you are throwing away.
- Sweep the floor and vacuum.
- Reassemble all furniture back the way it was when you moved in. Place furniture back the way you found it (desks in living room and beds/dressers in bedrooms)
- Return ALL KEYS (including your mail key to the mail room).
- Pull the shades, close and lock windows.
- Close and lock the door behind you.
- Clean and defrost the fridge and freezer and please do not leave any food behind! DO NOT UNPLUG THE UNIT! (Apartments only)
- Mop floors.
- Wipe down all counters, appliances, etc.
- Thoroughly clean the bathroom and remove all trash.
- Sweep the floor and vacuum.
- Clean out all drawers (including kitchen).
We wish all of you a healthy and safe summer! Best of luck on finals and congratulations graduates!
If you have an immediate question, please contact the Office of Residential Life at 203-932-7076.