Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Common Regulations for F-1 International Students

1.  International Students must register on time:  If, after the add/drop period, an international student is not officially registered for your class, please inform the student that he must register or he will jeopardize his immigration status.  Please contact the International Services Office if you have a student in this situation. 

2.  International Students (F-1 and J-1 visas) must register for full-time courses:  Undergraduates must have 12 credits each semester and graduates must have 9 credits each trimester.  Exceptions are made for students in the following cases prior to the student’s registering and with the “Authorization for Less than Full-time Enrollment” form signed by the academic advisor:

     a.  Students who have a valid medical excuse

     b.  Students who are in their first semester/trimester and are encountering problems with English or the reading requirements

     c.  Graduate students whose courses can be considered to be full-time because of the exceptional work load, a research project or other exceptional reason clarified by the academic advisor.

3.  International Students cannot withdraw from a class that results in going below full-time without prior authorization from the International Services Office.  Please do not advise international students to drop a course or to receive a W in the course to avoid an impending F in the class.  Instead, ask him to see the International Services Office for assistance.  Students who drop below 12 credits (UG) or 9 credits (Grad) do not have the option to “make up” the credits in the summer.  Receiving a W at the end of the semester/trimester is the same violation as if the student dropped the course during the add/drop period.

4.  International Students who are finishing incompletes or working on a late project must register for continuing registrationThis policy usually only applies to a graduate student working on a thesis or project or an exceptional undergraduate course demand.

5.  International Students are permitted to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week.  During school breaks the student may work full time.  Off-campus internships for credit are also limited to 20 hours per week during the academic year.  Exceptions may be made providing the internship advisor explain to me the need for a full time internship.  Co-ops may be registered for full-time or part-time work.