Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Driver's License/CT State ID

Obtaining a Connecticut State Drivers License or State ID

If you are a full-time student you may drive a car in Connecticut without obtaining a Connecticut driver's license as long as you carry a valid license from another state. The International Driver's License is not a substitute for a valid local license. To obtain a Driver's License, take the following documents with you to DMV:

  • Two types of photo ID. This should include your passport
  • Your Form I-20 and Form I-94
  • Social Security Card if you have any, if not you need to apply for the Social Security Denial Letter and take it to DMV
  • DMV Letter from ISO; DMV Letter is good just for 30 days from a date you apply. Don't apply for the DMV letter until you have ALL the documents required ready in hand.
  • Bring proof of address
  • A vehicle in which to take the driving test. The vehicle must be registered and capable of passing Connecticut inspection requirements.
  • Bring proof of your car insurance.
  • Before taking your driving test, you should read the Connecticut Driver's Manual for new drivers.
  • Effective October 1, 2008, People over 18 years-old seeking a driver's license in Connecticut for the first time are required to take an eight hour safe driving practices course at a driving school.  The fee for the course is set at $125 by state law and the course is offered at driving schools throughout the state.  For more information see
  • If you are denied from DMV while you have taken ALL the documents required there, request to make a review at DMV.

Get all the information you need about car registration, obtaining a Connecticut driver’s license and much more at or call 1-800-842-8222.