Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Current Students

This section provides you with useful information about immigration regulations, Connecticut driver's license/state ID and all other international events at the University of New Haven. The ISO is here to help you with your immigration needs, but you are responsible for following immigration regulations.

F-1/J-1 International Student Regulations

Please review each item below carefully. You are responsible for following these rules and regulations. Ask an International Services Office staff member about anything you do not understand!

As an F-1/J-1 international student, I agree to do the following:

1.            I will attend the institution listed on my I-20/DS-2019.

2.           I will maintain a full-time enrollment in a course of study through the 10-month academic year.

  Undergraduates-12 credits

  Graduates-9 credits

3.           I understand that the International Services Office (ISO) staff is here to assist and advise me, but that my visa status during my University of New Haven program is my responsibility.  I understand that maintaining legal status is extremely important and that falling out of status will make my student visa invalid, prohibit me from working, and make me ineligible for other F-1 benefits. 

4.           I will meet with and obtain approval from the International Services Office before falling below the full time enrollment each term.

5.           I will make satisfactory progress toward completion of my program and keep the I-20/DS-2019 valid at all times during my study at UNH.

6.           If I need to remain in the U.S. longer than the period specified on the I-20 end date, I will file an I-20 extension form at least 2 (two) weeks before the program end date on my I-20/DS-2019.

7.           I will not accept employment off campus without authorization from the International Services Office and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  Contact the ISO to apply for off-campus employment authorization.  I understand that off-campus employment must be related to my field(s) of study.

8.           I will not accept on-campus employment without approval from the International Services office.  I will not work on campus more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. Full-time (40 hours per week) on-campus work is permitted during official university breaks and vacations. 

9.            I will notify the International Services Office of my intent to transfer to another U.S. school.

10.           I will keep my passport valid 6 months into the future.

11.           I will submit my I-20/DS-2019 for a travel authorization to the ISO at least 2 weeks before I leave the U.S. for vacation if I have the intent of returning to continue my studies at UNH.

12.         I will report any changes to my major, program level, funding source, name or address to the ISO within 10 days of the change.

13.          I will retain the health insurance provided to me by the University or my government sponsorship.

  • (J-1 students only) I must show evidence of coverage that meets UNH requirements to the International Services Office before I am able to register for classes.