Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a benefit of your F-1 status. Below are some frequently asked questions about OPT.
If you have questions that are not answered on this site please stop by the ISO. We are here to help!
- EADs may not be forwarded to new addresses by the U.S. Post Office. Therefore, you must be certain that the address you list in item #3 of Form I-765 is (and will be) your address when your application is processed.
- Employment may not begin until the EAD card is received. You may only work during the validity dates of your EAD card.
- The EAD for Optional Practical Training will allow you to work only in a job related to your major area of study.
- Once authorized for OPT, you may accept employment anywhere in the U.S. When you are on OPT, you will still be in F-1 status.
- If you transfer to another school or begin study at another educational level, then your OPT authorization will automatically be terminated.