Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Full-Time Student Physical and Immunization Requirements

At the University of New Haven, we value your health and that of our entire campus community.

For fall entry, incoming undergraduate students must submit documentation to us by July 1.

Incoming graduate students must submit documentation prior to the start of classes during their first term.

Due to the busy nature of many physicians' practices, we recommend scheduling a physical examination and (if necessary) immunizations with your doctor as soon as possible.  

Download and Submit This Form

After reading the requirements on this page, please download the University of New Haven's required health form at the following link. Submit it along with your documentation to the address listed at the bottom of this page.

University of New Haven Health Services Student Information Form (PDF)
pages 1 and 2 (Student)
pages 3 and 4 (Clinician)

Health Services Requirements for Full-Time Students

According to University policy and Connecticut state law, ALL incoming full-time students (Undergraduate and Graduate) must provide proof of (required):

  • Physical examination before entering school. The physical must be completed within one year of beginning classes. 
    • Note: Physicals for varsity student-athletes may not be dated more than six months prior to becoming eligible for practice or competition. We recommend that varsity student-athletes have a physical dated April 1 or later. Please contact your coach for more information.
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR). The first dose of MMR must be given after the student's first birthday, and the second dose can be given 30 days or longer after the first dose.  
    • Injection must be after 1/1/69 to be valid. (Injections given before first birthday or prior to 1/1/69 are not valid.)
  • Varicella (Chicken pox). Requires 2 doses, or history of having the disease, or titre showing immunity.
    • Copies of lab results or blood test for measles, mumps, rubella and vericella will be accepted as proof of immunization as well.
  • Tuberculosis testing within the past 12 months.
According to University policy and Connecticut state law, ALL students living in University-sponsored housing must provide proof of (required):
  • One injection of the Meningitis vaccine. If you are planning on living in University sponsored housing, you MUST have received this vaccination and be able to produce valid proof to gain entry to your residence hall on move-in day.
According to University policy, ALL athletes, whether living on or off campus, must provide proof of (required):
  • One injection of the Meningitis vaccine.

In addition to the above listed REQUIRED vaccines, we also strongly recommend the following:

  • Hepatitis B vaccine (three dose series)
  • Hepatitis A vaccine (two dose series)
  • Gardasil (HPV vaccine) - three dose series
Additionally, all students must have proof of insurance on file. UNH offers health insurance to all undergraduate students, who can choose to opt in or out of that coverage. Click here go to an external website where you can accept or waive UNH health insurance. Graduate students are not required to have UNH health insurance, but may choose to purchase UNH health insurance through our Bursar's Office.

Note: If you were born prior to January 1, 1957, the vaccine requirement does not apply. However we ask you to complete the physical exam form, circle your birth date and return it for our records.

DEADLINE: Undergraduates entering in fall semester - due by July 1. Graduate students - due before the start of classes in your first term.

If you have received the required vaccines, please submit proof of immunity, i.e. records from school, parent's records or copies of lab results of blood tests (for rubella and rubeola titres), along with the completed physical form to:

Health Services Office
University of New Haven
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT 06516

  1. Questions?

    Please note: All new full-time students must complete the immunization requirements and have a physical exam before moving into University Sponsored Housing or beginning classes.

    If you have a question, please contact Health Services between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, at (203) 932-7079 or fax (203) 931-6090.