In the event of an emergency, you should:
- Call the Counseling Center (203.932.7332) for emergencies during regular office hours:
School Year: Mondays to Fridays 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Summer: Mondays to Thursdays 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Fridays 8:30 AM to 1:30 PM
- Call Campus Police (203.932.7070) for emergencies after hours, when the counseling center is closed.
- Dial 9-1-1 for emergencies when you are away from campus, or visit your nearest hospital.
Hospital of Saint Raphael: 203.789.3464
Yale - New Haven Hospital: 203.688.2222
What is a Mental Health Emergency?
If you, or someone else, are having thoughts of suicide, impulses to hurt yourself or someone else, severe confusion or disorientation, or if you have just been the victim of violence or assault, contact campus police at 203.932.7070 immediately.
What if it's not an emergency, but I'm really upset?
At times of distress that do not reach the level of a crisis or emergency, you can call a toll-free hotline. Consult our Hotlines page for listings. Other things you can do to help you cope with distress include:
- Talking to a friend, family member, or trusted clergy member
- Writing in a journal
- Practicing relaxation techniques
- Listening to soothing music
- Exercising, preferably out of doors if weather permits
- Taking a "mindful" walk
- Watching a movie