Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Obtain Your Student Visa


Obtain Your Student Visa

After you have been accepted to the University of New Haven, confirmed your enrollment by paying the deposit, and received your UNH I-20, you can begin the process of applying for a student visa.  


  • Once you receive your I-20/DS-2019 you must pay your SEVIS fee ( and print the receipt         
  • Make an appointment at the closest US Embassy or Consulate (
  • For general info see the Department of State website (
  • Complete the visa application form DS-160 (
  • For your visa appointment, bring the following items:
    • Visa application. Complete the form provided by the U.S. consulate in the country where the application will be submitted. You will be charged a fee for the visa application.
    • Receipt confirming payment of the SEVIS fee.
    • Valid passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months into the future when seeking admission or readmission to the United States.  Your passport should remain valid throughout your stay in the U.S.
    • Passport-size photos.
    • I-20 or DS-2019 form.
    • Financial evidence detailing source and amount of funding. Consular and immigration officers exercise considerable discretion in determining whether financial support exists and is sufficient to cover your entire period of stay. Prepare documentation that is thorough, consistent, credible and varied.
    • Proof of admission.
    • Proof of English language proficiency may also be requested.
    • Evidence of continuing ties (such as family, career, or property) to your home country. Visa applicants are presumed to be "intending immigrants." Your visa will be denied unless you satisfy the consular officer that you will return home. Unfortunately, there is no single explanation, document, or letter than can guarantee visa issuance.

Important Information about Visa Interviews

  • Consular officers conduct quick interviews! Their initial impression of you is critical to your success. Keep your answers concise. Be honest in everything you write on your visa application and say during the interview. Anticipate that the interview will be conducted in English. Don't bring other people to speak on your behalf.
  • Be able to explain the reasons you want to study in the U.S. and remember that your main reason for coming to the United States is to study, not to work!
  • If your spouse and children are remaining behind in your home country, be prepared to explain how they will support themselves in your absence. If they are accompanying you to the U.S., be prepared to show proof of adequate funding.
  • If you are denied the visa, ask the officer for a list of documents he or she would suggest you bring the next time you apply, and try to get the reason you were denied in writing. Maintain a positive attitude! Do not engage the consular officer in an argument.

Spouses and Children (Dependents): 

Will your spouse and children be traveling with you and staying in the US during your studies?

If you will be accompanied by your spouse and/or children, you must show the following:

  • An additional $6,000 in financial support for the first dependent and for each dependent after that you must show an additional $5,000.
  • You also need to provide clear copies of your dependents passport name page, a marriage certificate for you and your spouse and a birth certificate for each accompanying child. A certified English translation of each document must accompany the original.

The university will then issue an immigration document that will allow them to apply for the F-2 or J-2 dependent visa.

The box below provides a link to read more details about how to complete these requirements.

What do I need to do to complete Step 4?
  • Click the "I-20 and Visa Information" sign below to be taken to a page which details the process for obtaining both of these required documents.
  • The I-20 and Student Visa information page will open in a new window. 
  • Once you've read about those requirements, return to this window and click the button below to move ahead to Step 5.
Click here to go back to Step 3Click here to review I-20 and student visa informationClick here to go forward to Step 5
  1. Questions?

    If you have questions about obtaining the I-20 or your student visa, contact the International Admissions staff.
  1. Not ready to complete this step?

    You may skip ahead using the navigation in the box, or go back to the Road Map for New International Students.