Stuart Sidle is an Assistant Professor and Director of the Industrial/Organizational Psychology program. His expertise includes workplace stress, leadership development, employee morale, supervisor-employee relations and emotional resistance to organizational change efforts.
Director, Industrial/Organizational Psychology Program
Ph.D. Industrial/Organizational Psychology, DePaul University
M.A. Industrial/Organizational Psychology, DePaul University
B.A. Psychology and Communication, The American University
Summary of Expertise:
- job stress: Stressful boss-subordinate relationships, stress management interventions, personality and job fit, emotional rules and stress.
- leadership development: Executive education, using 360 feedback and coaching for leadership development. using survey tools for leader development, applying psychological research to develop manager's leadership skills.
- employee morale: Retaining star employees, assessing employee morale, the relationship of leadership style and employee motivation.
- organizational change: Assessing employee attitudes around organizational change, taking steps to reduce cynicism and foster commitment.
- hiring employees: Reducing bias in the interview process, improving the selection process.
Current or Recent Research:
Sidle is currently studying employee-supervisor relations - understanding the individual differences in the need for a supportive boss and helping employees understand their relationship with their boss. He is also engaged in research involving employee stress, company-sponsored surveying, leadership development, and improving internship programs.
Significant Articles Published:
Dr. Sidle has published his findings in such journals as the Academy of Management Executive, Academy of Management Perspectives, the Journal of Applied Social Psychology, the Journal of Business and Psychology and Organizational Research Methods.
Current or Recent Professional Memberships, Activities or Awards:
- Human Resource Association of Greater New Haven-Vice President
- Society of Industrial Organizational Psychology-Program Committee
- American Psychological Society
Specific Subjects or Issues Faculty Expert Can Knowledgeably Discuss:
- hiring employees: job interview bias, improving job interviews, successful interviewing.
- job stress
- manager-employee relations
- improving motivation and morale in the workplace
- developing managers to be great leaders
- understanding the stress and emotions employees experience when faced with organizational change
Courses Faculty Expert Teaches:
- Organizational Behavior
- Organizational Change and Development
- Developing and Assessing Leaders
- Motivation and Morale
- HR Internship Supervisor