Frequently Asked Questions

Myatt Center for Diversity and Inclusion and International Student Services

Career Development Center

  • What type of help does the University of New Haven offer to students in their career development?

    The University of New Haven has a full-service, comprehensive Career Development Center (CDC) that assists students with all aspects of their career development.

    We work with students in finding the right major and career path, conduct educational programs to inform students about career types, job market conditions, and the various paths to success; additionally, we prepare students for their experiential opportunities through one-on-one coaching, resume/cover letter preparation, interviewing practice, and how to locate opportunities. The CDC also holds career fairs, networking events, on-campus interview/recruiting events, maintains alumni contacts, and helps prepare students for graduate school. The friendly, knowledgeable, and student-focused staff works closely with students to develop an individual career action plan that will lead to life-long career success. Through our Peer Career Advisors, a group of students trained to provide career assistance to their fellow students, career assistance is available in the residence halls, classrooms, library, and other locations around campus, including during evenings and weekends.

  • My student is having trouble selecting a major. Is guidance offered?

    Yes. The Career Development Center has both people and resources to assist students in choosing a major or an academic course of study. Our experienced Career Advisors work individually with students to identify areas of interest and strength, and have conversations to begin focusing on academic programs that match. Your student can take FOCUS, a computer-assisted career guidance system that will suggest potential career areas to explore based on interests, abilities, personality, and values. It is always recommended that your student meet with a Career Advisor after taking FOCUS to discuss results and compose a plan for follow-up action. We also offer a one-credit course every Fall semester called “Discovering Majors and Careers” that guides students through the major selection process with weekly class meetings, career assessment activity, career exploration assignments, and conversations to illuminate major and career choices for each student. Recently we became the first university in the nation to utilize an algorithm-based candidate matching system that allows employers to connect with students with the major, skills, and qualifications they seek, creating significant engagement opportunities for students with our employer partners.

  • What type of connections to local and regional employers does the University have?

    The Career Development Center partners with local, regional and national companies and organizations in for-profit, not-for-profit and governmental sectors to ensure that we are providing opportunities for students in every major. The primary focus of this relationship development is to build the on-campus recruiting program that directly connects employer partners with students for internship and job opportunities. Each year we host over 300 organizations on campus for recruiting purposes, post 1500+ jobs and internships, bring alumni back to campus to connect with students, and partner with faculty to develop contacts for students. We conduct a number of events designed to provide connections between students and employers including three major annual on-campus career fairs, employer information tables and sessions, on-campus interviewing, networking events, seminars, and professional development workshops, all free of charge for students.

  • My student needs help finding an internship. Is there any assistance available?

    Through our employer and alumni connections, on-campus recruiting programs, career fairs, and the hundreds of internship opportunities posted to our job posting site, Charger Link, the Career Development Center can absolutely help students locate internship opportunities. Aside from our direct connections, we employ a variety of techniques to teach students how to locate positions in their majors as well as companies in which they are interested. Students also connect with internships through their academic departments, with support from the CDC.

  • My student needs to have a resume written. Are there resources available?

    The Career Development Center assists with resumes by offering students opportunities to attend a resume-writing workshop, to submit their resume online for review, and to meet with a Career Advisor to learn how to build a great resume from scratch. Additionally, we partner with faculty across campus to conduct in-class resume workshops and work with staff, student groups, Athletics, and other programs to integrate resume and career development into their programs. The CDC staff has experience reviewing resumes in all degree programs, and stays abreast of employer preferences and feedback regarding resumes to ensure our students are successfully conveying their experiences and skills to employers in a format that produces results.

  • Does the University of New Haven offer assistance with interviewing?

    The Career Development Center has several resources available to students to help them learn and master interviewing skills. Students meet with a Career Advisor to learn the strategies behind a successful interview and begin practicing those strategies right away. Our staff will review important interviewing questions and conduct a mock interview so students get immediate feedback on their performance. Additionally, we offer an online mock interview system where students record themselves answering questions and submit those videos for review by the CDC staff. Our Peer Career Advisors work with student clubs and organizations to provide interview training and workshops. Most importantly, through collaborations with several academic programs, students participate in professional mock interview events where employers and alumni come to campus to conduct mock interviews for students, providing a hands-on simulation with immediate feedback for students to practice this vital career management skill.

  • Is there any assistance available to my student who is looking to apply to graduate school?

    Yes. The Career Development Center helps students begin the application process for graduate school by providing information on how to research graduate and professional schools, exam preparation resources, personal statement reviews, and general application tips. The CDC, in collaboration with several departments on campus, hosts an annual Graduate School Week with a series of events, workshops, and information sessions to help students understand the graduate school, application process, write their personal statements, become acquainted with admissions requirements and exams, and learn how to finance graduate school. The CDC also collaborates with faculty advisors for pre-law and pre-med for specific student needs in applying to related professional programs. Faculty also serve as valuable resources for students to learn about graduate school and locate programs that match with student career and academic goals.

  • For more information:

    Click here for more information on the Career Development Center.

Residential Life

  • Can you give me a student’s room number/phone number?

    For privacy reasons, we will not give out a student’s information, however, we would be happy to contact your student and leave your student a message to contact you.

  • My student is not getting along with their roommate? What should I do?

    Your student should contact their Resident Assistant (RA). The RA, in conjunction with the Resident Director (RD)/Coordinator, will help your student to navigate the conflict and mediate if necessary. Our ultimate goal is to assist students in resolving their conflicts. If necessary, our staff can also assist with a room move based upon the vacancies available on campus.

  • My student has a problem with their room. How do they communicate the need for a repair, etc.?

    Your student should log into myCharger and click the Facilities icon to submit a work ticket to request a repair.

  • What the roles of an RA, APM, and RD/Coordinator?

    Resident Assistants (RAs) are student staff specially trained to assist students who live in each residence hall. RAs plan programs and activities to help you get to know each other and build a sense of community and a positive feeling within your hall. RAs are on duty in the evenings and available to assist their community members should a concern or urgent situation arise as well as to address incidents involving University policies. RAs are a great resource if you have are question, concern, or are just looking to get more involved on campus.

    Academic Peer Mentors (APMs) are student staff assigned to each first-year residence hall to provide academic support and guidance to the residential community. APMs provide programs on study skills, time management, and academic exploration to name a few and receive training through the Center for Student Success and Office of Residential Life.

    Coordinators and Resident Directors are live-in professional staff members who directly supervise the Resident Assistant staff. They provide leadership and guidance for their residence hall community. Their offices are typically located within the residence halls.

  • What can my student bring to campus? What items are prohibited?

    Your student can find the list of what to bring on myCharger on the Residential Life page. Any specific questions can be directed to the Office of Residential Life.

  • Can my student’s younger sibling come up to visit?

    Siblings are welcome to visit for the day; however, siblings under the age of 18 are not permitted to spend the night in the residence halls. More information regarding the Guest Policy can be found in the Student Handbook in the Office of Residential Life section.

  • What are Living Learning Communities (LLCs)?

    Living learning communities, commonly known as LLCs, are communities within our first-year residence areas. Students are grouped together based upon their intended major or common interest. Each LLC works directly with a faculty advisor and a RA who plan programs, field trips, and other activities based upon the theme of each LLC. For more information about LLCs, click here.

  • When do students move into the residence halls?

    Click here for the academic calendar that will provide this information.

  • What does it mean to sign a housing license agreement?

    All students are required to complete a housing license agreement which is binding for the academic year. For more information please click here.

  • Can you give me an overview of the University’s philosophy regarding Residential Life? What do they do?

    The mission of The Office of Residential Life is to create a safe, supportive, inclusive and engaged living-learning community that enhances students' personal and academic success. Through collaboration with all members of the University of New Haven, we promote leadership and personal development by providing opportunities for students to create and implement a vision for their community and future.

    The Office of Residential Life supports the mission of the University of New Haven through a quality program that provides educationally purposeful programming, initiatives and leadership opportunities that promote student growth, independence and persistence at the University.

  • For more information:

    Click here for more information on Residential Life.

Campus Life

  • Is there a list of Recognized Student Organizations?

    The Center for Student Engagement, Leadership and Orientation recognizes more than 140 Recognized Student Organizations. Students can access a full list of Recognized Student Organizations by visiting Charger Connection, which can be found in the MyCharger portal. Please encourage your student to explore Charger Connection as a way to find out about events happening on campus. Each Recognized Student Organization has their own page on Charger Connection to share details about the meeting times, organization contact information, and upcoming activities.

  • How can my commuter student get involved?

    All programs, events, and Recognized Student Organizations are open to all residential and commuter students. We encourage commuter students to make the most of their college experience by participating in on campus events, joining a Recognized Student Organization, staying on campus to utilize resources, and stepping out of their comfort zone to meet new people. If your commuter student is on campus for class, encourage them to stick around after class to see what programs and events are available.

  • Where can my commuter student go in between classes?

    There are multiple locations on campus that offer study or lounge space for commuter students.

    • The Bartels Campus Center is located at the heart of campus. This building offers students lounge space, Jazzmans Café, and commuter lockers for your student to store their belongings during the day.
    • The Marketplace is the dining hall located in Bartels Campus Center. This is a centralized hub for students to grab a bite to eat. Commuter students should consider the commuter meal plan which will allow them to save money, hang out with friends, and keep their parking space.
    • The Bartels Student Activity Center (BSAC) is located in the Bixler/Gerber Quad. This space offer lounge chairs, a meeting room, computer cubicles, a refrigerator, and microwave.
    • The Library is a great space for students who need silent study space, access to computers, or a quick coffee break.
    • The Undergraduate Student Lounge on the 3rd floor of the Maxcy North Porch is another great space for students seeking a study or casual lounge space. The lounge offers various computer stations.
  • What leadership opportunities are available for my student?

    Take Charge is the University of New Haven’s leadership program that provides experiential opportunities to explore concepts, develop skills and acquire knowledge. The experiences challenge students to be more critically, globally and socially aware community members. There are various programs offered for students interested in leadership development:

    • Beginners Understanding of Individual Leadership Development (BUILD) is a one-semester, not-for-credit course that introduces first year students to leadership theory and concepts through interactive assignments, discussions and case studies. This course is only eligible for first semester freshmen students.
    • The Certified Leader Program (CLP) is a curriculum-based experience that provides students the opportunity to develop their leadership skills through participation in a variety of activities, workshops, educational programs, speakers and by holding leadership roles on campus. There are six certificates available to earn based on the six areas of the Competency Learning Experience (CLE) that employers have identified as essential skills for prospective job seekers: Leadership, Teamwork, Critical Thinking, Global & Cultural Awareness, Resilience, and Communication. Students who are interested in enrolling or getting more information can email
    • The First Year Leadership Experience (FLEx) is a two and a half day off-campus retreat exclusively for first year students who want to get a jump start on their leadership skills before the Fall semester. Incoming freshmen students must pre-register for FLEx the summer before the enter the University of New Haven.
    • The Take Charge Program Series are bi-monthly programs developed by the Student Leadership Interns that address various leadership topics or current events. Students can the check Charger Connection or their University email for a schedule of the upcoming workshops, lectures, discussions and activities offered as part of the series.
  • How does my student apply for leadership positions (i.e. Orientation Leader, Resident Assistant, Building Manager, etc.)?

    Applications for various leadership positions are emailed to students via their University of New Haven email account or are available on Charger Connection. Most applications will be available in the spring semester. If your student is interested in a specific leadership position, please encourage them to reach out to the office overseeing the position.

  • What are the benefits of joining a Greek organization?

    Joining a fraternity or sorority aids in a student’s experience at the University of New Haven by developing brotherhood/sisterhood, enhancing leadership, encouraging academic success, and promoting philanthropy and community service efforts. Students who join a fraternity or sorority often feel as if they have found a home away from home. After graduation, students have access to alumni networks to support their post-college transition.

  • How and when can my student join a Greek organization at the University of New Haven?

    Recruitment is the process by which a student shows interest in a Greek organization. Recruitment takes place throughout the year and includes information sessions, open houses, and individual chapter events. The University had deferred recruitment which means all students are eligible to join a Greek organization after they have completed 12 credit hours at the University of New Haven.

  • What are the qualifications of joining a Greek organization at the University of New Haven?

    The University requires that all potential new members have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and have passed 12 University of New Haven credit hours. Individual Greek chapters may also have standards of membership such as higher GPA requirements, community service hours, leadership involvement, etc.

  • Will my student’s grades suffer by joining a Greek organization?

    The Greek Life community at the University of New Haven strives for academic excellence and improved scholastic achievement. Chapters offer academic assistance for their members, providing monitored study hours and peer tutoring. Each chapter has GPA requirements that apply to both incoming and active members.

  • How much time does it take to be involved in a Greek organization?

    When students join a Greek organization, they will participate in a period of orientation where they learn about the history and values of the Greek organization. Each Greek organization also has weekly chapter meetings, fundraising events, community service, and educational programs. Students will learn time management skills to help balance their multiple responsibilities.

  • What is the University’s policy against hazing?

    As per University policy, hazing is any action taken or situation created which produces mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. The University of New Haven has a strict no-hazing policy. Before becoming a new member of a Greek organization, all students will attend an anti-hazing workshop where they learn about hazing, how to spot hazing, and how to report hazing.

  • How can I be supportive as my student joins a Greek organization?

    We hope you will learn as much as you can by asking your student questions before and as they join a Greek organization at the University of New Haven. Many Greek organizations provide written statements concerning activities, finances and policies; students should be encouraged to read this information by visiting the chapter’s national website. Many of the Greek organizations also host family events and we would encourage you to participate with your student to gain insight of their experience.

  • For more information:

    Click here for more information on Campus Life.