Dennis Blader, M.S.
M.S. in Speech, Emerson College
B.S. in Mass Communication, Cum Laude, Emerson College
Dennis Blader earned a Bachelor of Science cum laude in Mass Communications as well as a Master of Science in Speech from Emerson College, Boston, MA. After graduating, he worked at WNAC-TV (Channel 7, Boston) as a production assistant and fill-in stage manager. He was subsequently hired as a staff director at WTNH-TV (Channel 8, an ABC affiliate in New Haven, CT) where he worked for 23 years serving simultaneously as production manager for over 3 years.
Blader is a five-time regional Emmy nominee and was the substitute director for the nationally-syndicated Sally Jessy Raphael Show while it was based in New Haven. He has taught at various colleges and universities in Connecticut and also led workshops at Connecticut School of Broadcasting (Stratford campus).
Non-Teaching Professional Positions
• Prepared and executed live and taped productions requiring both directing and technical switching skills of newscasts, promotions, special events and other multiple-camera production formats
• Substitute director for nationally syndicated Sally Jessy Raphael program while produced at WTNH-TV studios
• Conceived, wrote, produced and packaged commercials, public service announcements and special programming features; Remote Director/Production Coordinator for Special Events
• Scheduled facilities and staff in areas of programming, promotion and production including support for nationally syndicated Sally Jessy Raphael program taping at WTNH-TV
• Wrote, produced, directed and coordinated commercial production for local businesses
• Prepared monthly operating reports and summaries for upper management
• Professional management oversight of WNHU-FM
• Worked with staff to improve on-air quality and overall station identity including development of a News Department
• Supervised Phonathon fund-raiser
• Booked contestants, performed audience warm-up, operated scoring devices, and maintained all records for Candlepins For Cash
• Produced and/or coordinated support for various local public affairs productions including booking studio guests, inputting graphics, dubs, and all associated paperwork
• Fill-in stage manager