Design the technology that leads to better computing
The University of New Haven's computer science program is one of the best in the country. Its research, program offerings, multidisciplinary approach, and performance in cyber competitions, among other factors, led to the University being designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations (CAE-CO) by the National Security Agency. The University is one of only two schools in New England – and 23 in the country – to earn this distinction.
While just about everyone knows how to use a computer, the computer scientist understands how the transfer of information from a computer to a human actually works. Possessing great powers in abstract thinking, they model and analyze computing problems and then design the practical solutions to them. Algorithms? It’s the computer scientist who creates them.
The University of New Haven’s B.S. in Computer Science program will help you develop the strong foundation in mathematics and computing you need to enter this high-demand, ever-evolving field. You’ll tap into your aptitude for problem-solving, hone your ability to think in the abstract, and develop the design skills to solve problems.
As a computer science major you will:
- Develop the ability to analyze a problem, then identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution
- Learn to design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based process, system, component, or program to meet specific needs
- Apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer science theory in the modeling and design of computer-based systems
- Become proficient in computer hardware, software, and theory, as defined by the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) curriculum guidelines
- Learn to work effectively in a variety of contexts, using various languages, systems, and environments
- Begin to build leadership skills that will help you quickly advance your career
- Gain hands-on experience through an internship or co-op and an individual programming project
- Work with cutting-edge technology in state-of-the-art laboratories
- Be prepared to enter one of the most in-demand career fields in the country
- Establish the skills you need to be a lifelong independent learner, a requirement for this evolving field