Whether you are an incoming freshman or a senior preparing to graduate, the Career Development Center offers the services you need to start your successful career! We can help you assess yourself using the FOCUS Career Assessment System, perfect your resume and cover letters, and help you search for that perfect internship or job!
What should you be doing?
First Year - Getting Acquainted
- Visit the Career Development Center and meet our staff!
- Take FOCUS and meet with a Career Advisor to interpret results
- Get involved with on-campus organizations
- Attend a resume writing workshop
- Get a summer job related to your major
- Consider a summer elective internship
- Register for and begin utilizing ChargerLink!
Second Year - Exploring Your Options
- Discuss major and career goals with a Career Advisor
- Take the FOCUS Career Assessment program
- Research more information about your potential career field
- Shadow a professional in your career of interest
- Conduct an informational interview with a professional
- Develop leadership skills by getting involved with clubs
- Build a personalized career action plan with your Career Advisor
- Explore internship opportunities in your major
Third Year - Making Decisions
- Meet with a Career Advisor to narrow your career choices to two or three fields
- Update your resume - have it expertly reviewed in the CDC
- Secure an internship or part-time job in your career field
- Attend Speed Networking events to perfect this skill
- Plan and prepare for graduate school
- Undertake your second internship opportunity
- Attend mock interview events on campus
Fourth Year - Find Success
- Meet with your Career Advisor (early Fall) to develop a job search plan
- Assemble a professional portfolio
- Refine your resume and cover letters
- Participate in a mock interview
- use several methods in your job search
- Take grad school admission test(s) and apply
- Believe that your job search will be fruitful!
- Intern! The best way to land a job is to work your way to graduation