Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Quick Reference FAQS

Q: Why do I have to fill out new paperwork?

A:  Generally anytime your pay rate, work period, or account changes you are required to fill out a new work authorization form.  Sometimes you will be asked to complete several new forms during the year.  If you have multiple positions or if anything changes from your original work authorization it may generate additional forms that must be filled out in order for you to be paid.

Q: Do I need to fill out Connecticut tax forms if I am not a resident?

A:  Yes, tax forms need to be filled out based on the state where you are employed.  The CT W-4 form and instructions is available here.  Students may seek additional tax information from the Connecticut Department of Revenue Service web site.

Q:  Why do I have to bring Original documents when I fill out my I-9's and not copies?

A: The I-9 is a federal document which requires the presentation of documents in their original form. The I-9 form, instructions and a list of acceptable documents can be found here

Q:  What day and time does my Online Time Sheet have to be submitted?

A: During a normal work week, online time sheets must be submitted to Supervisors by 10 a.m. on Monday mornings.  Supervisors will have until 4 p.m. on Monday to approve.  To enable efficient Payroll Processing, please make certain to adhere to submit and approve deadlines.

Q:  If my supervisor is not in the office, who can sign off on my Online Time Sheet?

A: Supervisor should setup at least one proxy in Web Time Entry who will be able to approve online time sheets in their absence.

Q:  How many hours can I work a week?

A: During the school year, student workers are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. Students working in multiple positions may not exceed the maximum of 20 hours when combining all their hours worked.   Undergraduate students may work 35 hours a week during the following periods: Winter, Spring and Summer breaks. Graduate students may work 35 hours per week during Winter and Summer breaks.  The Graduate Academic Calendar can be found here and the Undergraduate Academic Calendar can be found here.

Q: Can you tell me how many hours I worked already?

A:  It is the responsibility of you and your supervisor to keep track of the hours you are allotted to work.  Your maximum number of hours is provided on your work authorization form.  You can also verify the amount of hours you have remaining by sending an email here.

Q. How does an International Student get their social security card?

A. International Students are allowed to work prior to getting their social security card as long as they have a letter from the Social Security Administration as well as complete the I-9 and work authorization forms. 

Q. What do I need to do to use my work study for an off campus Community Service position?

A. First you will first need to contact the Financial Aid Office to make sure the off campus position is acceptable under the work study program. If the position fits the Community Service criteria, then you will need to have your off campus Supervisor fill out the Community Service Agreement form with UNH.  Lastly you'll fill out the work paperwork as normal.

University of New Haven Financial Aid TV ad