Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

2016-17 Prospective Students

Prospective Students - How to Apply for Financial Aid

In order to be eligible to receive financial aid at the University of New Haven for the 2016-2017 academic year all applicants must have applied, been officially accepted and matriculated for admission, and be enrolled in a degree program. Students who have an admission/matriculation status of "in process" or are enrolled in personal enrichment programs are not eligible.  In order to be considered for most financial aid programs, students must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis. Refer to the university catalog for detailed information. 

STEP 1:    (Optional) Submit the 2016-2017 CSS Profile Form with UNH school code 3663.

                  Submit by February 1, 2016

CSS Profile - Beginning in October, students applying for Early Decision or Early Action may complete the CSS Profile form at . This form will be used to provide an estimated Financial Aid award by the end of January to students who have been accepted by admissions. This allows students who are admitted for Early Decision or Early Action to know expected family costs before paying the enrollment and housing deposit to UNH. 


STEP 2.    Complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with UNH School code 001397

  • The 2016-2017 FAFSA is available beginning January 1, 2016.
  • Priority Date:  March 1, 2016
  • *Use the IRS Data Retrieval process to complete the income information sections.

 *NoteFamilies may estimate the income information on the FAFSA to meet Priority Dates.  Corrections should be made to the FAFSA once you have filed your 2015 federal tax return and at that time the IRS Data Retrieval process may be used.


STEP 3.    Submit any additional paperwork requested by May 1, 2016*

Additional paperwork - The Financial Aid Office will communicate with students via email to request any required additional paperwork.

Students selected for a process called Verification will need to complete a Verification Worksheet and provide copies of their parent's 2015 Tax Return Transcript(s).  You can obtain a copy of the 2015 Tax Return Transcript(s) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) after you have submitted your 2015 federal tax return. You may visit a local IRS office to obtain a copy. There are local offices in each state. You may also contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to speak with a representative.

* Applications must be received, not postmarked, by the dates above. Applications submitted after these dates will be considered on a rolling basis, depending on the availability of funds.  


STEP 4:   If you receive financial assistance or scholarships (excluding student loans) from an outside source for the 2016-2017 academic year, you must notify the Financial Aid Office. 


NOTE:  Financial Aid applications must be completed and loan applications certified prior to the last day of the term for which you are seeking aid.

University of New Haven Financial Aid TV ad