TOEFL/IELTS/Pearson Test of English (PTE) and ELS-EAP Test Requirements:
As of the Fall 2013 Term, all non-native English speaking undergraduate and graduate international applicants must demonstrate English language competency in one of the following 4 ways BEFORE they can enroll in a degree program at UNH:
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 OR
- A minimum TOEFL score of 80 on the internet based test (IBT) OR
- A minimum Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 53 OR
- A minimum iTEP score of 3.7 OR
- An ELS Certificate of Completion of Level 112, English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program.
Exception: For the following graduate-master's level-engineering degrees, the minimum TOEFL score will remain at 75 IBT and the minimum IELTS score will remain at 6.0. These programs will also accept a minimum Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 50 or the ELS-EAP Certificate of Completion of Level 112.
- M.S. Computer Engineering
- M.S. Electrical Engineering
- M.S. Engineering and Operations Management
- M.S. Environmental Engineering
- M.S. Industrial Engineering
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering
- M.S. Network Systems
The University of New Haven School Code for TOEFL is 3663.
Please Note: the following graduate programs require higher English test scores and do not accept the ELS-EAP Certificate of Completion of Level 112:
- The M.S. in Human Nutrition-Nutritional Genomic program requires a minimum IBT TOEFL score of 80 or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 or a minimum PTE score of 53. However, the M.S. in Human Nutrition-Nutritional Genomic program does not accept the ELS-EAP Certificate of Completion of Level 112. (This program does not offer Conditional Admission).
- The M.S. in Cellular Molecular Biology program requires a minimum IBT TOEFL score of 80 or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 or a minimum PTE score of 55. However, the M.S. in Cellular Molecular Biology program does not accept the ELS-EAP Certificate of Completion of Level 112. (This program does not offer Conditional Admission).
- The Ph.D. program in Criminal Justice requires a minimum IBT TOEFL score of 100 or a minimum IELTS score of 7.5. or a minimum PTE score of 68. However, the Ph.D. program in Criminal Justice does not accept the ELS-EAP Certificate of Completion of Level 112 and does not offer Conditional Admission either.
UNH offers Conditional Admission-in the form of a conditional acceptance letter only-to international students who are academically admissible but need to improve their English language abilities before beginning their academic studies at UNH.
The University of New Haven does not issue conditional I-20s for students seeking F-1 visa status if they have only been granted "Conditional Admission".
This means that if you have no TOEFL, IELTS or PTE test scores or if you have a low TOEFL score (below 80 IBT) or a low IELTS score (below 6.5) or a low PTE score (below 53), you can still apply to the undergraduate or graduate degree program of your choice at UNH. If the Admissions Committee determines that your application meets all the requirements for admission except for the English language requirement, you will be granted "Conditional Acceptance" also known as "Conditional Admission".
Conditional Admission provides you with the assurance that once you meet the university's English language and financial requirements, you will receive a UNH I-20 and you will be allowed to enroll and begin your academic classes at UNH. Conditionally accepted students may opt to apply for an English language training I-20 through ELS New Haven which will allow them to come to the U.S. to study English as a Second Language before starting their academic classes at the University of New Haven. Please read below for more information.
ELS-New Haven offers Intensive English training to non-English speakers. The ELS "English for Academic Purposes (EAP)" program consists of 12 levels, from the basic to the advanced levels; each ELS session is 4 weeks in duration. Students are able to enroll at the start of any session during the year. A separate ELS application is required.
If you are seeking conditional admission, you need to send a separate ELS Application to ELS-New Haven. For more information on how to apply to ELS and how to obtain an ELS I-20, please visit the ELS-New Haven web site.
ELS-New Haven contact person is:
Kaitlyn Marusa, Center Director
Address: 1211 Campbell Avenue - Charger Plaza
West Haven, CT 06516