Apply for a Student Visa

After you have received your I20, please follow these steps:

Students Inside the U.S.A.

  • F-1 International students inside the U.S.A. who wish to transfer to the University of New Haven should follow the transfer instructions sent to them along with their acceptance letter. In order to transfer into the University of New Haven, you need to take your Full Accept letter and the SEVIS transfer form to the International Services Office at your current university. Request a transfer out to the University of New Haven. Once you submit this paperwork you have completed the necessary steps for transferring. Once we receive the SEVIS transfer and your new financial documents, we will issue your new I-20 for the University of New Haven.

Students Outside the U.S.A.

  • Pay the SEVIS fee once you receive your I-20 form and make an appointment for an F-1 Visa interview right away. The SEVIS fee must be paid online after you obtain your I-20 or DS-2019 Form from the University of New Haven and before you go to your student visa interview at the U.S. embassy in your home country. Pay the SEVIS Fee online at

Familiarize Yourself with the Process

Read the following articles to help you to better prepare for your U.S. Student Visa Interview at the U.S. Embassy in your home country or country of residence.

Be prepared to answer the following questions in English during your visa interview:

  • Why did you choose to study at the University of New Haven?
  • Why did you choose to study this major at the University of New Haven?
  • How do your future plans, after graduation, include returning to your country?