Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Military Leave Policy

Exit Procedures for Students called to Active Military Duty
To initiate a military leave from the University of New Haven the student must contact the Registrar's Office. They will collect the proper information and paperwork from the student which must include written documentation of the military instructions. The Registrar's Office will then inform the appropriate offices of the student's military leave. Because every student's situation is different, each leave will be handled on a case-by-case basis. However, certain basic procedures are applicable and these are described in the following paragraphs.

Academics Provisions
These are two possibilities: normally the student will take a military leave with withdrawal from courses, since incompletes (INC's) will not likely be feasible in most cases. Where course withdrawal occurs, full tuition refunds will be made, coordinated with the registrar's office and the business office. Students in this situation who are receiving financial aid should also contact the financial aid office.

If the leave is sufficiently late in the term to issue an INC grade for any course (as judged by the faculty member under existing university policy) then an INC can be given. However, care should be exercised in the granting of INC, since the student may remain on leave for an extended period, which may pose difficulties for ultimate completion of the course. If an INC is granted, no tuition credit will be given. If INC is awarded for some courses and withdrawal from others, the tuition will be pro-rated in coordination with the registrar's office, financial aid office and the business office.

Residence Halls and Meal Charges
If the leave results in a full tuition refund (withdrawal from courses) the term room charge will be refunded. The meal plan will be pro-rated.

If the leave results in at least one INC, both the room charge and the meal plan will be pro-rated.

Financial Aid Ramifications
Students are urged to submit documentation of their military activation to the Financial Aid Office. Students going on military leave with questions regarding financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office, telephone: (203) 932-7315, fax: (203) 932-6050.

Students with Federal Student Loans
Students must complete Loan Exit Counseling at and notify their lender(s) that they have been called to active duty. Provide documentation as required.

More information may be obtained by contacting:
John Casarella