Academic English Preparatory Program
The University of New Haven’s Academic English Preparatory Program (AEPP) is the first and only such program in the New Haven area that uses a content and language learning approach to teach English as a second language.
In the Academic English Preparatory Program, students gain knowledge and an understanding of a subject matter while simultaneously learning and using English. The AEPP helps provide all students – regardless of their major – with the necessary academic skills to understand and communicate effectively in English and to perform exceptionally well in classes in their major.
Studying in the Academic English Preparatory Program also gives you full access to all campus resources and programs.
- Stop by the Peterson Library to read a book while enjoying a hot, fresh cappuccino.
- Participate in a game of squash, lift weights or play basketball in our state-of-the-art Beckerman Recreation Center.
- Chat with one of our international mentors or participate in a speaking exchange with a domestic student during our conversation club, where you can ask questions about your major and more.
- Live in one of our new residence halls or apartments, both on and off-campus.
Students can also immerse themselves in the community. At the University of New Haven, you are only a short distance from some of the areas nicest beaches. If the beach is not your preference, you can enjoy the sights and sounds of the City of New Haven, a leading cultural center. The city is home to museums and hosts a variety of concerts and live shows. Many of the activities that take place across the city are free. Got a taste for some international food, world-class shopping, or just a day or two of sightseeing? New York City is just an hour south by car or train. If you prefer, Boston is two hours to the north and offers many historical sites, prestigious academic institutions, and seafood to rival any port in the world.
Come to the University of New Haven’s Academic English Preparatory Program! Your success starts here.
Director, Academic English Preparatory Program
College of Arts and Sciences
- Both Undergraduate and Graduate Conditional Acceptance to the University of New Haven
- Discipline-specific English for Academic Purposes instruction for all majors in the Arts and Sciences
- English for Academic Purposes designed specifically for Majors In:
- College of Arts & Sciences
- College of Business
- Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences
- Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts
- Tagliatela College of Engineering
- Custom Programs are also available for Professional Purposes covering a range of Professions.
- Study skills courses
- IELTS Test Preparation, including mock IELTS exams
- Afternoon intensive tutoring in students' major and in technical writing
- Extensive academic advisement, including advising from a faculty mentor
- Progress tracking and benchmarking
- Additional support in adjusting to Daily Schedulemerican culture, including activities with a university student mentor who has experienced success at the university level
No official IELTS or TOEFL score is required for the University of New Haven Academic English Preparatory Program. You can complete the Focal Skills Placement Test instead. The program can take 4, 8, or 12 months to complete, depending on the student’s incoming English proficiency level.
Check out this Daily Schedule to get an idea of what to expect when you enroll in this program.
The International Student Handbook is designed to answer some of your questions and help guide you through your academic and cultural experiences at the University of New Haven. We strongly recommend that you read it carefully and keep it for future reference.
The Office of Residential Life knows that an integral part of any college students experience is in their time living on campus and benefiting from all campus has to offer.
Costs Per Semester
All prices are in US dollars. Prices are subject to change.
Undergraduate and Graduate Tuition and Fees, General Student Fees, Health Insurance, and Living Expenses are for one academic semester. Undergraduate housing costs listed are for on-campus residences. All AEPP students have the option of living on-campus, or off-campus at their own expense.
|Tuition and Fees||$9,550||$9,550|
|General Student Fees||$730||$100|
|Living Expenses (estimated)||$7,515||$6,000|
What Students Are Saying
Yi Wei ’18 M.S. Shanghai, China Industrial Engineering
“The Academic English Preparatory Program has helped me develop the skills to attend the University of New Haven as a full-time graduate student in industrial engineering. This wonderful program has helped me to learn how to efficiently communicate with professors, expand my vocabulary and deeply understand how the words are used, improve my academic writing skills, learn and practice how to complete academic papers with APA format, and feel confident and learn how to quickly adapt to living in the USA and studying at the University of New Haven”.
Man Jin ’18 MBA China
“The Academic English Preparatory Program has helped me to advance my English level in reading, listening, speaking, and writing. The APP taught me a lot of academic skills, such as the APA style for academic papers, how to write academic papers, and how to do academic presentations”.
Yantong Zhang ’18 MBA China
"The University of New Haven's Academic English Preparatory Program has helped me to strengthen my English abilities. We trained using English in formal conversation, using academic vocabulary, and mastering writing. I have greatly improved my English."