Academic English Preparatory Program
Welcome to the University of New Haven Academic English Preparatory Program (AEPP). The AEPP is a comprehensive pre-academic English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program. It addresses the needs of students who intend to pursue undergraduate or graduate degree studies at the University of New Haven upon completion of their EAP studies.
- Stop by the Peterson Library to read a book while enjoying a hot, fresh cappuccino.
- Participate in a game of squash, lift weights or play basketball in our state-of-the-art Beckerman Recreation Center.
- Chat with one of our international mentors or participate in a speaking exchange with a domestic student during our conversation club, where you can ask questions about your major and more.
- Live in one of our new residence halls or apartments, both on and off-campus.
Students can also immerse themselves in the community. At the University of New Haven, you are only a short distance from some of the areas nicest beaches. If the beach is not your preference, you can enjoy the sights and sounds of the City of New Haven, a leading cultural center. The city is home to museums and hosts a variety of concerts and live shows. Many of the activities that take place across the city are free. Got a taste for some international food, world-class shopping, or just a day or two of sightseeing? New York City is just an hour south by car or train. If you prefer, Boston is two hours to the north and offers many historical sites, prestigious academic institutions, and seafood to rival any port in the world.
Come to the University of New Haven’s Academic English Preparatory Program! Your success starts here.
Director, Academic English Preparatory Program
College of Arts and Sciences
- Conditional Acceptance into the University of New Haven degree programs pending the successful completion of the AEPP; transitional support into university academic classes.
- Once you have been "Conditionally Accepted" to the University of New Haven, there is no need for an additional application for the AEPP.
- Students receive an I-20 to study at the University of New Haven.
- Start your AEPP studies during our Fall, Spring and Summer terms.
- Competitive tuition cost of $ 9,550 per semester.
- Level 4 Advanced AEPP students may qualify to take a Math course for college credit.
- Comprehensive and structured curricula featuring academic preparation classes in several disciplines.
- EAP pedagogy within a learner-centered and culturally diverse program which encourages an environment of inclusion.
- No need to take any additional English proficiency tests once Levels 1-4 AEPP are successfully completed.
- Most AEPP students have graduated after one four-month semester.
- For additional information on how to apply, Apply Now
No official IELTS or TOEFL score is required for the University of New Haven Academic English Preparatory Program. You can complete the Focal Skills Placement Test instead. The program can take 4, 8, or 12 months to complete, depending on the student’s incoming English proficiency level.
Check out this Daily Schedule to get an idea of what to expect when you enroll in this program.
The International Student Handbook is designed to answer some of your questions and help guide you through your academic and cultural experiences at the University of New Haven. We strongly recommend that you read it carefully and keep it for future reference.
The Office of Residential Life knows that an integral part of any college students experience is in their time living on campus and benefiting from all campus has to offer.
Costs Per Semester (2018-2019)
All prices are in US dollars. Prices are subject to change.
Undergraduate and Graduate Tuition and Fees, General Student Fees, Health Insurance, and Living Expenses are for one academic semester. Undergraduate housing costs listed are for on-campus residences. All AEPP students have the option of living on-campus, or off-campus at their own expense.
|Tuition and Fees||$9,550||$9,550|
|General Student Fees||$700||$110|
|Living Expenses (estimated)||$7,850 (estimated)||$7,850 (estimated)|
YI WEI ’18 M.S.
The Academic English Preparatory Program has helped me develop the skills to attend the University of New Haven as a full-time graduate student.
YUEH-HSIN LIU ’20 M.S.
The AEPP helped a lot with my English skills.
HAMMAN MATALGAH ’20
The AEPP helped me to improve my English language skills more than I thought it could in just a short time.