The Office of the Provost is pleased to announce the 2015 student Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program. This program is now in its ninth year at UNH and is designed to build on the successful experiences of previous years.
To engage students in the experience of applied research under the direct tutelage of a faculty member. The full process will involve crafting a research proposal, conducting a research project, and will require preparation and presentation of results in written and oral-presentation form at a research fair to be held early in the fall term. Fellows will also be expected to write a short summary of their work for publication by UNH. The program will support mentoring, engagement, experiential learning and persistence.
Process and Parameters:
The 2015 Application and Proposal deadline is March 23rd. Decisions will be announced sometime in mid-April. Click here to access the 2015 Application form, and click here to access the Proposal Guidelines.
*If you are having trouble submitting your application using the email@example.com email address, please use firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com instead.*
You can also refer to the Schedule of Activities and Events for important dates.
Projects involving human subjects must be vetted in a timely way by the university’s IRB.The student fellowship award includes these elements:
- A $3,000 stipend for each student and an award certificate upon successful completion of the program. The SURF program is a full-time commitment.
- Special mention on the co-curricular transcript as “Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow.”
- A $1,500 stipend for each faculty member for each student supervised.
- No-fee student housing in the UNH residence halls for the summer period, approximately June 2 – August 8.
- An allowance for research supplies and library resources will be available.
- Participation in weekly seminars/luncheons.
- Required participation in a September 2015 “Research Day” event, which will include poster displays and demonstrations or descriptions as appropriate.
- A summary written report which will be published by UNH.
- Participation in at least one Admissions or other event during the 2015-16 academic year, to be scheduled by the Dean’s Office of the college in which the student is enrolled.
- Beginning in 2015, participation in the SURF Program will also be indicated on students' Academic Transcripts as a non-credit course.