The Office of the Provost is pleased to announce the 2014 student Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program. This program is now in its eighth year at UNH and is designed to build on the successful experiences of previous years.
To engage students in the experience of applied research under the direct tutelage of a faculty member. The full process will involve crafting a research proposal, conducting a research project, and will require preparation and presentation of results in written and oral-presentation form at a research fair to be held early in the fall term. Fellows will also be expected to write a short summary of their work for publication by UNH. The program will support mentoring, engagement, experiential learning and persistence.
Process and Parameters:
Projects involving human subjects must be vetted in a timely way by the university’s IRB.The student fellowship award includes these elements:
- A $2,500 stipend for each student and an award certificate upon successful completion of the program. The SURF program is a full-time commitment.
- Special mention on the co-curricular transcript as “Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow.”
- A $1,500 stipend for each faculty member for each student supervised.
- No-fee student housing in the UNH residence halls for the summer period, approximately June 2 – August 8.
- An allowance for research supplies and library resources will be available.
- Participation in weekly seminars/luncheons.
- Required participation in a Fall 2014 “Research Day” event, which will include poster displays and demonstrations or descriptions as appropriate.
- A summary written report which will be published by UNH.
- Participation in at least one Admissions or other event during the 2014-15 academic year, to be scheduled by the Dean’s Office of the college in which the student is enrolled.